Governor issues/p7100

Cummins12v

I have a maxed 180 that will throttle up to random rpms. Then stick , i'm thinking the rack is sticking. What could be reasoning for it to idle up like that? Any help appreciated!

It could also be just the setting of the governor springs causing it to do that, what springs are you running? Did it used to run fine then just start acting up? Does it seem to do it after it's run awhile or all the time even after first crank?

If the rack is sticking a lot of times the pump/governor will have little to no control over RPM. I have seen this happen when the rack pin breaks and the pin falls into the flyweights bending the governor spring stud. Some times a plunger gets a piece of debris in it and hangs up, although the engine should miss on a cylinder also if that happened. Sometimes you can hear the tappet hammering if the plunger is sticking. Either way the pump should come off and go to someone that knows what they are doing for repair.

I should have added that its easy enough to pull the plug in the side of the governor housing and rotate the engine so you can look at both sets of springs. It's obvious if the stud is bent. Happens a lot.

Yes the linkage is good. What I mean is I can get out of my truck leave it idling and for no reason it will just rev up by itself

I had similar issue with a set of peak 4ks. Messed with them with motor on stand for days. Add a click take a few out. Remeasure. Pulled my hair out. Then pulled em out put another set in and run like a champ. One of the biggest springs that was inside the oem idler was ground funky was longer and on a angle, didnt match the other one.

I had similar issue with a set of peak 4ks. Messed with them with motor on stand for days. Add a click take a few out. Remeasure. Pulled my hair out. Then pulled em out put another set in and run like a champ. One of the biggest springs that was inside the oem idler was ground funky was longer and on a angle, didnt match the other one.

I think I might swap them out honestly thanks for the help lol I'm at the pull my hair out point

Back