governor spring install gone bad

97singlecab

I am working on a 93 ve truck that some high school kids put a governor spring in. now the truck won't run right and i'm trying to figure out what they did. The full fuel screw was turned so far into the pump we had to put the cover in a vice and use a big ratchet to get the screw to turn back out again. Once the screw was out I adjusted it enough to get it to run with out running away, but it has no power and acts like it isn't adding any fuel. I turned the afc screw all the way down and still can't get fuel to it. So I thought maybe it didn't have a boost reference, so I put 20 psi regulated air to the pump and it started fueling and got some black smoke and then it just ran away on me. Now if I start it it just runs away and if I turn the full fuel screw out it won't start. Any one have any ideas what I should do????

thottle shaft properly indexed? have you pulled the top back off pump to look inside,check things out? i,ve done 5 or 6 gov. springs no problems, wich surprises me cause i have alot of bad luck.

Well I figured it out. The arm that the full fuel screw pushes on is cracked and bent to the side from not pulling it out of the way when he put the top back on. It is actually behind the arm the governor spring is attached to pushing on it causing it to defuel.

the exact thing happend to me so i welded it back on i dont think i fixed it i dont know what to do now

Back