Grinding noise on startup

JonnyB

Stay Stock Stay Happy
Lately my truck has had an odd noise on startup it didn't matter if it was hot or cold. Today I went to sonic and turned it off so they could hear me. When I went to start it up it made a horrible grinding noise and didn't want to start. After waiting about a min I tried again and the noise was still there but the truck started. The sound was very similar to when your engine is already running but you try to start the engine. I am thinking bendix or whatever is used. Truck is STOCK 2007 (06 motor according to engine) with 49397 miles and Ford ESP so the truck will be going to the dealer Monday. I am just curious if anyone has experience this before and if my guessing is correct. I would take a video of it but right now the truck is in the garage and I am afraid if I try to start it that will be the last time. I would like to be able to drive it to the dealer without having it towed.

Bad bendix drive on the starter, or a messed up flexplate ring gear (usually caused by a bad bendix drive) would be my first guess.

I think I am going to pull it to take a look...unless anyone objects to doing that before I go to the dealer. If that is really the problem I can pick one up online for about 140 shipped or have the dealer do it for the 100 but who knows how long it might take

Back