gutted t-stat

ISBeINSIDE

Left Coast Hooker
as the title implies... i HAVE gutted my t-stat. the question is, is this hurting performance? i have been driving with this t-stat for probably close to 10,000 miles. but now i am trying to tune the truck and have ran into a hp wall way lower than expected from my setup. i was wondering if there was an of chance this could be causing it? i does throw a CEL for t-stat rationality, going down the road i am no more than 160ish on a warm/hot day 140 on a cool day...

any thoughts welcome,
Jason

what is ur deffinition of gutted? I have 4 3/16 holes in mine and have been runnin that for lil over 10k miles.

I cut the whole center section out of mine but i dont drive it on the street either;

^^^ what he said... took the center out, and the brass bobbers so it looks like a big washer.

I blew freeze plugs out even with a drilled out t-stat. Get the bypass kit from shane and put your t-stat back in.

Without a t-stat, you're losing fuel economy and that's about it on a mechanical injection motor.

On a computer controlled CR, I could see the motor defueling based on not seeing full operating temp.

Without a t-stat, you're losing fuel economy and that's about it on a mechanical injection motor.

On a computer controlled CR, I could see the motor defueling based on not seeing full operating temp.

i know it will defuel in a overheat condition, but i cant find anything on my code listings that indicate a defuel with low eng coolant temp...

Think about all the compression heat you're losing into the relatively cool bores & head - diesel cycle gains efficiency with higher temps.

Chances are your not reaching the upper fueling due to low engine temps. Its all in the tuning.

i will reinstall my t-stat and verifiy gain or stallmate on the dyno sometime this week...

I had mine drilled and it never got up to temp and always felt a little down from where I thought it should be...put a stock one back in and it definitely felt stronger.

i will revisit this thread when i put the t-stat back in, i will re-dyno the truck and find out...

put stock t-stat back in, cant say it gained me power as i made to many changes at once, but my fuel mileage improved by a good amount...

new dyno number 736hp

Back