hard start

TwinCummins02

Texas Diesel Runner
some times when i go to start my truck it will crank then start and die then when i go back to start it it will just crank like it is not geting fuel, then it will start and run fine, i dont know if it is VP or maybe the glow plugs.

I hope it isn't your glow plugs...since you don't have any!LOL

When you turn your key on, does your lift pump run for a second and then go off? These motors like a small amount of pressure to start so it is controlled by the computer to bump and then release giving it just enought to start without having too much. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge for the lift pump? If so, when it first starts what does it read before it dies? Sounds like a lift pump problem at first...but I could be wrong....like usual! Ok, I see you have fuel pressure gauges now, what does it read when this happens?

Last edited:
my pressur gauge isnt working right now need new fiting but thats another problem, but to today it had no problems i dont know the deal is i have a auxiluary lift pump from bd i need to put on so maybe that will help but its just one problem after another, ijust spent $4300 on the trany so i cant have anything else go bad right now like the Vp but i know it might be next

Get that pump on!!!!

The surest way to kill a VP is starve it for fuel, your hard start problems might, migt not be a sign of a bad IP but they don't sound good :(

can the twins be causing it to have hard time with not a lot a fuel i dont think so but just had to ask, and one more thing i have noticed after using ulta low diesel i have noticed this promblem and my buddy with a 2001 24v has had the same problem dont know if that has anything to do with it agin just had to ask

I'm buy no means an expert like some on here, but your turbos won't affect it in the slightest...to my knowledge. If the truck starts and then dies it sounds like fuel delivery somewhere. If it didn't start at all and cranked for a long time, it would sould like a grid heater or something of that nature. Is your fuel filter housing tight? It almost sounds like you are pulling in some air when the truck is shut off. You don't have any fuel leaks do you?

Turbo should have 0 effect on the truck starting, inadequate fuel supply could cause the problems you describe since the LP runs for about 3 seconds or so at initial key on and then shuts off. What could be happening is the LP runs, the VP has enough fuel to crank and run just a second, then it either sucks air or the LP cannot keep up or is cutting in and out causing fuel starvation.

Not saying you have a bad LP but until you get a working FP guage you just can't tell.

If you already have a pump to put on, get it on and screw the factory LP since they suck monkey ballz located on the engine block, moved to the frame it's a good unit though.

On the IP check with your local injection shops and our site vendors, several carry them IIRC

today i had a another problem when i got on it it kinda wanted to buck arount when i wot when i backed down it was fine

thats what i am praying for i can buy one of those right now thanks for all your help guess it help a lot

Back