harmonics into the cab ....

triton

Scarlet Fever
as some of you guys know... I installed the race shifter in my truck. As some may also know, my truck has had a rattle for ever now.

Well, now it seems I've bought that rattle right into my lap in the cab. I believe I'm getting drive tran harmonics through the cable to the shifter into the cab ... ain't that a *****. It's always something.

Does anyone know if this a common thing and is there anything I can do about it. The mount I used for the shifter is welded to the seat mount bracket and I don't believe it's coming for there.... I think it's coming through the cable and the shifter is the speaker :hehe:

Triton..
A used truck dealer buddy of mine,who finds home for unwanted Rams, had an issue just like this with one he sold a customer and it drove him nuts for weeks until he swapped driveshafts with another truck.He swapped them one at a time,the customer then drove the truck and when the front one was changed the harmonics dissappeared.They then ordered a new front driveshaft from Ma Mopar and the customer has been happy ever since.Might be something for you to look into..........Andy

Triton,

It sounds like it may be time to clock your transfer case?

My shifter cable did the rattle. Like, Ratttttttttlllleeee---- (then, under acceleration, it would go) RAAATTTTTTLLLEEEEEEE....

Just a constant rattle, worsened under acceleration.

It seems to have went away on its own after a hundred miles. Or maybe I just remembered that I have a 1000 watt stereo in my truck for that reason.

Maybe you could try putting some kind of dampner on the cable, but I think that the rattle is the inside-cable vibrating against the outside-cable. Grease the ends maybe? Make sure you don't have a washer or snapring attached loosely to the inside-cable that's compounding the rattle?

thank guys. I did think of dampening it some how but, I'm not sure how. Like Begle said... it's inside the cable I think. Since it's metal, I think the sound is traveling through it, attached to a metal shifter which in turn amplifies it.

Hammer, it's funny you mention that cause I did have the drive shaft a part yesterday. According to Tommy at Garmons though... when they go back together you don't have to worry about aligning the u -joints cause there's only one way it will go back together. The U -Joints are aligned though.

I looked into clocking the transfer just to straighten out the front drive shaft. I don't have any problems or noise from it now.

It seems you can never have your cake and eat it too :bang

I was thinking the same thing as Andy, one of your shafts might be dented or out of balance.

I've also always heard that you are supposed to align your yokes the same when you do u-joints.

Triton, what about using one off a bow? It's been a while but I do remember they had rubber Isolators, semi-soft glob of rubber.

well you guys won't believe this... I call TCI to ask about the possibility of harmonics through the cable. They said " no way " ! They have never heard of anything like that.

Ok, so I'm going over my truck today getting things ready. I decided to change the oil even though it didn't need it. As I was putting the dipstick back in it stopped and wouldn't go any farther. It was only half way in.

My first though was... damn, the tube has come out of the block. Nope, so I pull the dipstick back out and half the tube came with it !

It was never reattached to the block for support and broke in half. When clinging the two pieces together... it was the same pitch as the rattle I was thinking was harmonics.

I've yet to start the truck yet as I still have it apart but, I'll put money on the fact that because that tube was broken, that's where the high pitch rattle was coming from.

I don't think this will cure the timing sounding rattle but, man... I'm so glad I found this. I was not looking forward to a 300 mile ride to TS with that noise !!

I'll let you guy know if it was it for sure later. Just something for everyone to keep in mind.... a support not put back or loose bolts can cause a pain in the butt !

Back