Have a ?, can you gear around lack of torque ?

the 300hp diesel slaughtered the gasser because it did it with twice the torque and at half the RPM with the same transmission

So what are you saying is the gearing from the factories is all wrong ? I have talked to outfits who do custom gearing with these trucks and they say the diesels on hills no matter what get the gas good ?

Thanks for the replies and help.

I'm just trying to imagine the rpm's a gas motor would need to make up for the lower gearing LOL

I am on another site trying to figure out why on paper it says HP is HP and in the real world people are saying when they got rid of their 300 HP gasser PU and bought a 300 HP diesel it just slaughtered the Gasser in pulling no Matter how they geared the gasser.
Thanks.

It's all about the area under the power curve.

Gas:

1752d1206744774-08-z06-stock-dyno-numbers-457whp-427lb-tq-z06-dyno-bone-stock-.jpg

Diesel:

1210dp_11%2B500hp_power_stroke_part_4%2Bturbo_intercooler_and_lift_pump_power_graph.jpg

As you can see the gas power curve is more of a curve, whereas a diesel is more of a straight line. Lots more average horsepower. You might even things out with an 8 speed transmission or something, but then you'd spend all the time shifting.

It's all about the area under the power curve.

Gas:

1752d1206744774-08-z06-stock-dyno-numbers-457whp-427lb-tq-z06-dyno-bone-stock-.jpg

Diesel:

1210dp_11%2B500hp_power_stroke_part_4%2Bturbo_intercooler_and_lift_pump_power_graph.jpg

As you can see the gas power curve is more of a curve, whereas a diesel is more of a straight line. Lots more average horsepower. You might even things out with an 8 speed transmission or something, but then you'd spend all the time shifting.
Thank You!

I was going to post this but was mowing grass...

Gas or diesel mower?? LOL
Wow...
Gas
My wife blew up my V twin Briggs on friday, so my co-worker and I are texting debating whether a single cylinder (more widely available) of nearly the same HP would carry the machine as well. I never made the parallel to this thread.

Wow...
Gas
My wife blew up my V twin Briggs on friday, so my co-worker and I are texting debating whether a single cylinder (more widely available) of nearly the same HP would carry the machine as well. I never made the parallel to this thread.

That's kind of creepy.

So you people seem to think a 700hp gas engine will run 80k down the road?

Sure, through an extreme gear reduction, it could certainly get it moving. There is no way in hell it will move it down the road at 70mph though.

Sure, through an extreme gear reduction, it could certainly get it moving. There is no way in hell it will move it down the road at 70mph though.

I'll bet it would if it was 800+ ci, and cruised at 6000+rpm LOL

Speed is horsepower. Going down the road isn't the problem. Climbing to and being pulled down from that speed is.

It takes far less energy to maintain an energy level than it does to change energy level.

Speed is horsepower. Going down the road isn't the problem. Climbing to and being pulled down from that speed is.

It takes far less energy to maintain an energy level than it does to change energy level.

We're still talking 80k here right? You'd still need torque to keep it moving.

I'm picturing a 1000hp rotary. No way it would pull any large amount of weight, even if it had the traction.

Maintaining road speed is horsepower, if you had infinite gearing you would loose respect for torque.

However even an 18 speed requires a pretty wide torque curve.

When you let the clutch out in bull low on the 140,000lb trains we pull up here you get a good understanding of torque.

Really that's where the gasser runs short, even in 1st gear would have a hell of a time taking off. It would have a pretty good chance of getting up to road speed. Not many gasser's built to live at 700hp all day long.

Maintaining road speed is horsepower, if you had infinite gearing you would loose respect for torque.

However even an 18 speed requires a pretty wide torque curve.

When you let the clutch out in bull low on the 140,000lb trains we pull up here you get a good understanding of torque.

Really that's where the gasser runs short, even in 1st gear would have a hell of a time taking off. It would have a pretty good chance of getting up to road speed. Not many gasser's built to live at 700hp all day long.

You concur then?

Sent from my Rotten Apple

You concur then?

Sent from my Rotten Apple

I did a drive by, didn't read the whole thread but I think so I'll say yes? LOL

What ever happened to Charles. He would have loved this thread, such an A$$hole but was fairly bright.

That's funny, Charlie was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread too :lolly:

Ya Charles would make this thread a lot more entertaining lol. Search the hp vs tq thread. maybe someone who knows how could link it here, lots of good reading.

Back