he341 too big for 4bt?

Attachments

• Holset HX25-to-HX83-Compressor-Maps.jpg
    Holset HX25-to-HX83-Compressor-Maps.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HE341Ve compressor map.jpg
    HE341Ve compressor map.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 0
That map is the HE341VE, does it use the same comp wheel?

The turbine is the restriction on the HE341, just like the HE351. Run it at 45 psi and you will have a 2:1, or greater, drive pressure ratio. They are very effective at 30-35 psi.

In that calculator the intercooler efficancy was only, putting it up near 80% (where I have seen my OEM intercooler run based on manifold temps) increases airflow over 100 CFM, and is over the peak flow of the HE341's comp wheel. IIRC the HE341's comp is rated at about 650 CFM.

Last edited:
That map is the HE341VE, does it use the same comp wheel?
The compressor wheel is the same part number.

In that calculator the intercooler efficancy was only, putting it up near 80%
80% is unrealistic for most intercoolers, especially at high boost.
Also, a lot of B3.9's use a jacket water intercooler. The link I posted is actually for that, sorry for the mistake.

IIRC the HE341's comp is rated at about 650 CFM.
Turbos are measured in mass (weight) flow, not volume flow. (Thats what all that math at the bottom of compressor maps is for.)
0.45kg/s is 59lb/min. At 30psi a 3.9 would have to revv to 4800rpm to flow that.

Last edited:
Since Holset doesn't call the HE341 in the Dodge a HE341 it may not have the same comp wheel as a HE341VE.

Pressure is not a measure of flow, but a measure of restriction. One can increase flow and decrease pressure.

As far as the intercooler, I have input data I have recorded while pulling grades and at 26-30 psi of boost my intercooler comes back at around 90% efficient, with about 30-35° rise in temp from ambient to intake manifold.

Yes rated in mass, but can be converted to flow based on a standard day. Most of the data I have seen on the HE341 in the Dodge put's the flow around 50 lb/min. The Holset flow chart is too broad, considering the HE351CW/HE351VE/HX40 (7blade) all use the same part number, but that chart show 2 different flows for them. We also know the HE351's and HE341 have different comp wheels, but that chart shows the same flow???

Last edited:
I have an he341 on my 4bt and it works great. Pushed my suburban to 90 with no problem. Max egts have been 1100. I don't have boost gauge however.

This is just another thought on things. You said this is in a f150. What transmission is this engine hooked up to and what kind of converter and gears are you running. My dad put a 89 5.9 cummins in a f250 that had a 460 and a c6 auto in it. He kept the c6 and stock stall converter in it. This was before a cummins conversion was popular and we didn't know any better about using the gas transmission. Granted the engine is still all stock I don't like the combination and think it is a gutless turd. Basically my point is transmission and gearing are important in an engine swap.

It is using the gas E4OD with the diesel E4OD torque converter.
Been debating putting a 4r100 in it, but not sitting on a spare 5k at the moment.

Back