Head gasket question

morkable

Just Over Broke
My head is Fire Ringed.. what options do I have for head gaskets? I know about Haisley... must be others? How do they cut them out,, is it a water jet? or? It would be nice to figure out a solution closer to home if possible

I did one with a dremel 2 yrs ago. Not the right way im shure but it worked and i had nothing better to do. Im shure any machine shop can do it tho.

I wonder how exact it has to be? Really the fire rings are supposed to hold the boost in the hole,, and my block is going to filled,,,, so very minimal water ,,,,, hmmm,, might be worth a try,,,,,

Call Riverside Performance 1-419-927-6839. I have a head that has a really oddball broove cut in it and they were able to help me out. Last time I talked with somebody there about head gaskets they were very knowledgable and had quite the variaty. Make sure your head is nearby and you're able to take some measurements though. Different places cut grooves different dimensions, although They probably aren't much closer than Haisley's. I think they are located in Ohio but i could be wrong.
The head i run though is cut for the HG and fire ring set that Haisley's sells and they had a good price on it and they try to keep them in stock all the time. Call down there and ask some questions, I'm sure they will be able to answer.

do you know the measurements of the cuts in the head? depth, ID, and OD?

post it up when you get a chance, we can probably find more sources for you

I will be back home this weekend, I will do those measurements and put them up on here

do you know the measurements of the cuts in the head? depth, ID, and OD?

post it up when you get a chance, we can probably find more sources for you

X2 Thats all that really matters.

All the ones I have seen were water jetted. Also see if the cut is radiused or square.

Is there really any good reasons why a person couldnt cut them out by yourself? really I cant see why it wouldnt work....

If you have a gasket i wouldn't see why not as long as you take your time on them. It may save some money or it may be cheaper to but it all as a package deal depending on how much the rings would cost you separate.

The only thing that sucks bout doin it yourself is trying to hold the gasket from flopping around. All i did on mine was remover the metal all the way to the gasket material and the test fit on the head with rings in place. It wasnt pretty like a machine can do but worked just fin for a season and a half till i tore it apart. There was no water leaks or oil leaks anywhere. So its 100% doable. If i do it again myself ill make a jig to work on this time. Thinking about a piece of plywood a little wider than the gasket and twice as long. Holesaw a 4.5 inch hole in the middle and sandwich the gasket with 2 small chunks of plywood and clamp it do to hold it rigid.

Back