head gasket questions

sodbuster

the new guy
When my head was machined I wanted to go through the O-ring grooves and have fire rings cut. Somewhere along the way a misunderstanding led to me getting my head with the O-ring grooves cut out smooth, no fire rings just a smooth deck. The shop said the head couldnt be machined anymore due to its at its tolerances. Can I still get my head fire-ringed or should I find a new head. Some shops told me to get a multi-layer steel gasket and not get rings cut in it. I searched and couldnt find any help, thanks for the input.

You could cut the block For fire rings. There really is no reason to swap from o ring to fire ring.

from phone

the biggest reason I wanted to go to a fire ring was my o-rings were all cut do what seemed like different depths ranging from .012 to .024 and the only way I thought to fix that was go with a deeper cut a just put fire rings in. The protrusion of the rings varied to the point where I put 3 head gaskets on in 1500 miles

That makes more Sense. I know a lot of guys just cut the block and leave the head smooth. Is this a street driven truck? If so I would consider finding another head and o ring it again.

from phone

No it wont be street driven nearly as much, Im more tryin to build a puller, play truck. The biggest hurdle comes because I want to cut the stock plenum off and put a runner intake on but I dont want to do that if I cant use my head

A little late but they could of just went to a larger wire and re-cut the receiver grooves

Back