Head Stud Question

99 7.3

I was wondering at what hp level do I need studs. I'm finally getting a clutch and have been running my smarty at 60hp with the stock clutch. I would like to go up hp wise on my programmer (w/ new clutch). I just don't want to blow a head gasket prior to putting studs in. Is there a general "safe" hp area I can run my smarty on before I blow a gasket? Kind of like the 400hp level with the 7.3 without forged rods.
I have a friend that is running his 2012 6.7 with a h&s on its highest setting without any problems or studs.

Generally speaking, Headstuds are more so needed at certain boost levels than power levels. Stock head bolts are good to what 55psi or so they say? I wouldnt trust factory bolts with anything over 45psi personally. Also one of the main reasons 6.7s blow headgaskets relatively easier than 5.9s is because of the VGT turbo. Id say do headstuds, throw on a s366 and get yourself a bad EFI tune and have fun with a ~600hp setup!

So I should fairly good as long as I keep it under 45psi. Thanks. Just wondering what others saw before they popped a gasket

If you see 45 psi with the Vgt you will get your headgasket. The drive pressure is about 2-1 at that pressure.

drive pressure is what will kill your head gaskets. If you're seeing 45psi of boost im suprised you still have head gaskets

drive pressure is what will kill your head gaskets. If you're seeing 45psi of boost im suprised you still have head gaskets

This^^^^^ I have changed HG's on 6.7's that was lucky too see 35lb's of boost. The drive pressure is the killer. Theres been many HG failures on stock 6.7's.

Ok thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I haven't seen over 20 yet. But w/ the new clutch going in soon and turning up my smarty I was wondering. So is 30psi safe?

30 psi is safe on some trucks and others have seen their HGs blow at 15-20. However, most importantly, let you truck heat up to 180 before getting on it. That will be paramount to boost numbers.

As stated earlier, go with a 366, studs, and efi live. I did my research for months and that is the setup on my truck. And it would be running minus the damn extended oil drain tube I ordered has a pinhole in it.

So I should fairly good as long as I keep it under 45psi. Thanks. Just wondering what others saw before they popped a gasket

I was referring to aftermarket chargers on the stock headbolts holding 45psi. Because as stated before that VGT loves some good ol drive pressure! swap it out dont look back. You can pick up a borg warner s366 for $650 brand new

Back