Headlight switch issues.

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
The park section of my switch failed. Parklights flicker on but only if I hold it between detents, and dont come onn with headlights at all. And headlights start blinking off an on after about 30 minutes of use. Got a used switch off ebay and its the same thing. I've torn mine apart and all the contacts look good but it's not making contact in the right places for some reason. Any way to patch my switch? $90 for a new one...

Thanks
Brad

There is a recall for the switch overheating and melting. The recall might have been done on your truck, and it included adding a relay stuffed under the dash. The relay, or the wiring might have problems.

I don't see anything on my report about a headlight switch recall, but there was an ignition switch wiring recall done. Know where I can check online about other recalls?

Thanks
Brad

There was only a few trucks that they recalled, but it should have applied to a lot more. Mine melted, but it was supposed to be safe.

Yea my plug shows some melting, but all the terminals are located where they should be and making good contact. Guess I'm gonna have to cough up for a new switch and try it.

Thanks
Brad

the switch should come with a piece of wiring harness with a relay. If it dont, ask for it.

They are junk and definately overheat but who quoted you $90 for a switch? Last one I got was BorgWarner from O'reillys for $20 or $30. Works fine now but I am sure it will melt again.

I went through a couple switches my self, then I installed a relay and seperated it so now there is no load on the switch and it just triggers the relay. Kinda sucks when your driving down a country road and your lights go out. Spend $5-10 on a relay, buy a new switch from your local auto parts store and your problems will be over.

Napa says they are $93. Problem is I have 2 (albeit used) switches and they both do the same thing, so I'm not sure it's the switch. I know which wires run the interior, park, and headlamps, is that all I need to be concerned with? There are more wires than it seems are needed coming off the switch.

:redx:
I feel like an idiot.. It was the fuse in the dash panel.
It must have just been backfeeding from another contact in the switch when pulled part way. This made me mentally skip right over checking the fuse, as the lights were working with the switch in just the right position.
Put a 25 cent fuse in and all is good again. :hehe:
I'm hoping the lights flickering on and off will go away with the replacement switch, but if not I now have all the relays to take the load off the switch.
Thanks for the info guys.

Brad

FWIW, mine lost the parking lights on fri night, the headlights worked fine. Used a headlight switch I got out of a parts truck we had and all is well now..

Back