Heat exchanger

Twisted Shifter

I have a question I would like some input on .........

When I put my twins on I had to remove the heat exchanger from the block ......

I now have issues with my transmission getting hotter than I would like ........

My question is ....... Should I put the exchanger back on? Will it help cool it off?

I would have to put it back on the frame rail some place but I have room.

The hardcore drag racers say no due to consistency with keeping the fluid temp lower than the coolant temp. I say relocate it up front with the stock cooler. Feel free to poke around my pictures for ideas.

I ditched everything stock and run one of these mounted under the cab on a 45° angle. Temps stay in check (160-180) pretty good on 90° days.

75_full.jpg

B+M racing supercooler from Summit

I have the big Flexalite .. and yes it stays at 160 ish until I get stuck in traffic or make a few passes at the track then it climbs .......

I removed it on my first truck and had a hell of a time keeping my temps in check when towing in traffic, even with a bed mounted super cooler like the one above. On this truck I relocated it to the same area Brandon did and all is good. I did replace the stock tube and fin cooler with a B&M 8.5x11x1.5 and have the bed mounted one for those really tough days when pulling slow on hot days when you cant get into lock-up. IMO that little HE is very effective. If your not towing than you probably dont need it?

I need to do something .... I set in traffic today for 30 min and I was 200* -210* ..... This is what I have mounted under the cab .....

hdshroud2.jpg

until I can afford to relocate mine it is still in stock position and it is wrapped with header tape tranny stays in check, it gets warm when drag racing but other then that is good. I had it off for a while and couldn't cool it down unless running 70 on the highway for a good distance even mounted a 600cfm thermostat operated fan and still didn't help put exchanger back on it is good for now and I took the fan back off it restricted air flow when not running, but my twin setup I made so it allows room for the exchanger its self. I see 150 in traffic and 180 190 drag racing and towing 150 in traffic to 170 and once moving down below 150.

joefarmer said:
The hardcore drag racers say no due to consistency with keeping the fluid temp lower than the coolant temp. I say relocate it up front with the stock cooler. Feel free to poke around my pictures for ideas.

I have the Flexalite Electric setup on my radiator ... I can keep my coolant temps at 150*-160* with no problem .... so I was thinking that would keep the trans near the same?

262fan.jpg

You have a point there. I keep mine at ~175 with an e-fan as well and the stock heat exchanger/stock front cooler won't let it go above 200 in the pan drag racing. The stock heat exchanger is a well engineered piece, IMHO.

I no longer have any of the OEM lines on the Trans or the coolant. I am not worried about the coolant so much as I am the trans........ should I run it?

Out of the trans to the E-Fan to the Exchanger back to the trans
OR
Out of the trans to the Exchanger to the E-Fan back to the trans?

BTW my heat exchanger is a little different than yours ..... Mine, both trans nipples are on the bottom and the coolant come out either side.

Thanks again for everyones help!:thankyou2:

The fluid path is typically hot port -> exchanger -> cooler -> cold port. In theory, the exchanger heats or cools the fluid to coolant temp and the cooler would drop it an additional 10-15 degrees.

I wish I had a picture of one truck around here. The exchanger and cooler are mounted between the framerail and drivers door. That means the heater lines are fairly long. I would see if putting the cooler on a 45 degree angle would help cool it better before putting the exchanger back in. Just changing the direction that it sucks air could help.

EDIT: my exchanger is out of a 2001 truck so the coolant ports are on one side.

joefarmer said:
The exchanger and cooler are mounted between the framerail and drivers door.
EDIT: my exchanger is out of a 2001 truck so the coolant ports are on one side.

Yea thats the spot I picked to mount mine ..... I have a good amount of space between the fan and the cab of the truck ..... I have the air going from the ground to the cab, so it would be picking up "HOT" air from the blacktop when sitting in traffic ... but that don't explain when I am racing ....

I guess the other thing I could think of is that your converter is too tight for your driving style. Mine definitely is way to tight and I always have to sit in traffic in neutral instead of drive.

I would think converter efficiency is probably the biggest factor in how much heat you have when not in lock-up. I had a 91 in my last truck and it was brutal, I went with a 89 in this truck to help with spool-up and it is way easier to keep temps in check. The other thing I didn't like about the 91 was the amount of brake effort it took to stop and stay stopped.

Back