Help, No starter

Hoodrat

Hey guys, after getting my pump swap done on my pulling truck the starter will not do a thing off the key. I've checked all the fues an grounds that know of and still nothing, i know the starter is good, crossed it with a screw driver and it works. The motor was out for almost a year btw, any idea's?

Pop the cover off the starter relay and activate it by hand. Clutch or neutral switch could also cause this.

Ok ill try that if all else fails, the clutch switch is new, put it in last year before the motor came out, it all worked great then like its susposed to, now it doesnt do anything.

Have you doubled checked the starter trigger wire that is usually plugged in right next to the driver side battery?

Its brown, a single wire that goes to the starter solenoid with a gray colored connector.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353349388.327570.jpg

Mine has the yellow connector because I use this for my shut-down solenoid trigger as well.

Ok I'll check that wire out when i get off work for the holiday, thanks guys

I checked the trigger wire this morning, it's hooked up, cleaned the ECM ground wire an checked the neutral safety swich, everything looks as it should, is there any more wires I can check?

You cab check voltage at that pole on the solenoid. You should be getting battery voltage to that wire at the solenoid when key is in start position.. There is also a relay for that wire in the fuse box that could be bad.

Check the trigger wire integrity. After I did my swap, I had noticed a slow starter problem. (And no, not a slow operator.) I checked the trigger wire at the starter and it was in pretty bad shape from a rubbing issue. Fixed that, and voila.

You could also remove the starter and use a set of jumper cables to manually operate the starter to see if it is in fact still good. Ground to one of the bolt ears, positive to the main wire lug, and then use a screwdriver to jump positive power to the trigger post.

Hey I found what was up with my truck, the clutch switch was bad, don't know how a brand new goes bad just setting for a year, o well, thanks for everyone's help.

Contacts corrode a bit from condensation... Common with copper contacts

Back