Help on 93 1st gen Value

Nighthawk

Hello Comp D !

I have wanted a 1st Gen for 2 yrs and I found one for sale that checks the boxes I need to make the purchase. The specs on the truck are below and I was hoping the 1st gen family could help me put a value to the truck so me and the seller both get a fair deal.

1993 LE - Club Cab Long bed 4 x 4

- 270,000 miles (seems high to me but maybe not?)
- 5 Speed Trans (Recently Rebuilt)
- Newer clutch (stock hp)
- Stock pump, turbo & injectors

Thank you !

Many thing affect the value.

Rust being the major one. Drivers floor board, rockers, and directly above the windshield along the drip rail. Use a screw driver to check.

The trans being rebuilt means jack to me. The bearings take a preload while the shop, if unfamiliar, will treat it as clearance. If they do it the wrong way, spun bearing that may lead to a bad case.

Clutch. Stock Sachs 13" or the "upgraded" 12-1/4"? Stock is best.

Just these without knowing paint condition means it can be a $2500-$15000 truck.

Many thing affect the value.

Rust being the major one. Drivers floor board, rockers, and directly above the windshield along the drip rail. Use a screw driver to check.

The trans being rebuilt means jack to me. The bearings take a preload while the shop, if unfamiliar, will treat it as clearance. If they do it the wrong way, spun bearing that may lead to a bad case.

Clutch. Stock Sachs 13" or the "upgraded" 12-1/4"? Stock is best.

Just these without knowing paint condition means it can be a $2500-$15000 truck.

I am waiting on more photos from the seller, but from the looks it will need a paint job due to 90's paint peeling. The truck did appear to be rust free from the photos but will need to be verified in person (tbd).

The seller did not spell out the clutch or who did the trans rebuild but will definitely request receipts (thanks for the reminder). Per KBB in my area its listed value is $4500 but I have a feeling that they seller will not go for that amount.

Last edited:
Location? What is your price range? 2 or 4X4?
Jon hit the nail on the head, stock clutch is much better than the "upgraded" one.
270K on a factory pump is getting up there.

However 100% bone stock truck's are hard to find!

I'd suspect you'll end up dropping a decent amount of money in steering and suspension to get that old chunk of iron up to par.

The thing is that these old things get neglected since they fire up and get the owner from a to b so easy.

270K miles on a motor and factory injection pump is nothing. The original pump in my 90 went for a good 450K plus until I pulled it in favor of the custom VE in it now. I trust it would run a while longer.

In my opinion, a club cab 4wd truck would be ideal for me. As Jon said, though, the overall condition will determine the price. What's the seller asking for at the moment? Sight unseen, assuming it's in decent shape, I think $5000 would still be fair.

KBB seems to fall short in their findings when it comes to the value of a vehicle. Hell, I checked the value of my '13 Passat TDI SEL for gits and shiggles a couple of weeks ago. With only 20,000 miles and in excellent shape inside and out, KBB valued it at $22,000 private party and $19,000 trade-in value. I'd like to think I could get more for it.

Last year my son paid $13k for a club cab 4x4 (1992). He has since installed an 8" lift and some wheels & tires along with a hot rod pump, injectors, exhuast, and modified he351. It's the best running first gen we've had here (barring little Nellie with the 14 mm pump). It is a five speed with 240k miles, original paint, looks flawless underneath, and captains chairs. First $11k takes it home!!!

270K miles on a motor and factory injection pump is nothing. The original pump in my 90 went for a good 450K plus until I pulled it in favor of the custom VE in it now. I trust it would run a while longer.

In my opinion, a club cab 4wd truck would be ideal for me. As Jon said, though, the overall condition will determine the price. What's the seller asking for at the moment? Sight unseen, assuming it's in decent shape, I think $5000 would still be fair.

KBB seems to fall short in their findings when it comes to the value of a vehicle. Hell, I checked the value of my '13 Passat TDI SEL for gits and shiggles a couple of weeks ago. With only 20,000 miles and in excellent shape inside and out, KBB valued it at $22,000 private party and $19,000 trade-in value. I'd like to think I could get more for it.

The seller said he has receive "offers" of up to 10k, so I am not sure he actually wants to sell it (although has it forsale). Club Cab 4x4's are not too hard to find in an auto but a club cab manual around me is a needle in a haystack.

I kinda doubt he has. I'm willing to bet he made up a little white lie hoping you'll offer him something close to $10k.

Last year my son paid $13k for a club cab 4x4 (1992). He has since installed an 8" lift and some wheels & tires along with a hot rod pump, injectors, exhuast, and modified he351. It's the best running first gen we've had here (barring little Nellie with the 14 mm pump). It is a five speed with 240k miles, original paint, looks flawless underneath, and captains chairs. First $11k takes it home!!!

Out of curiosity, could you PM me some photos of the truck? Do you still have the stock suspension parts to go with it? I need the truck to be stock height for my camper so the lift won't work for me.

I kinda doubt he has. I'm willing to bet he made up a little white lie hoping you'll offer him something close to $10k.

Yeah, the old salesman trick. We have emailed back and forth a few times, the seller is currently out of town but will be providing me with more photos of the truck. If the interior checks out and he has keep the truck in good shape I may be in the 8k range as it does have 270k on stock components.

Back