Help with tire choice

Ronisonce

I currently am running H2's on my 07 LBZ with 265/70/17 tires. I am switching to the stock PYO's for weight but am having a heck of a time deciding/finding what tires to run. These tires will be only run at the drags. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Are you 4x4 ?
A lot of guys are running Nitto 420s with good luck. You can also go with drag radials.

Yes DOT and yes drag only, just looking for all options. I don't see Nitto 420's for 16" rim.

They don't. You need a 17-18" wheel for the right height.

How tall do you want it? You can get 265/75/16 Toyo Proxes ST2. They're supposed to have good grip. If you need wider, they have a 275/65/16.

I'm just looking for the best combo with the PYO's for the drags. I saw the Proxes, I've seen the M&H Drag Radials.. Didn't know what was ideal.. I am going from 17" H2 wheels and 265/70/17 michelins.

Thats why I came to this site :).. All about competition, figured you guys would have more insight.

Most guys aren't running tires like you are asking about, or they have already contributed to several threads like this one in the recent past.

Then any info would be great as to what they are running. I've done a lot of searching and I've read a bunch of threads. Including yours. I see 2 options, m and h drag radials or toyo proxes st ii

That's because there really aren't that many options. Nitto which doesn't make a tire for a 16" wheel, M&H, Toyo and Kuhmo Ecsta

http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Drag-Radials/275-55R16#.VaFsBYpHbCQ

Guys have put these on the little 6.5" wide pyo's.

1F86DF5A-D079-47EB-AE28-C8AD53BBA92C_zpsxn885yv7.jpg

Last edited:
how tall are those? 28 or 29"? wind up being gear-bound unless you switch up your engine program ( :D ) to make efiecient power at higher RPMs??

I just purchased the new Hoosier 325/45/18 Drag Radial pro for my 2 wd to try but waiting on my wheels to be made.

how tall are those? 28 or 29"? wind up being gear-bound unless you switch up your engine program ( :D ) to make efiecient power at higher RPMs??

Yea thats what i'm worried about. My current tires are 31.6, the M&H drag radials are 27.9.... I have 373 gears..

Honestly, with your current trap speed 105 mph, you aren't doing too bad with 12.8 ET's. You could probably shave a tenth or two, but why put your truck through all that heavy hard launch drama when you could just add more power for the same price as a new set of fancy wheels or tires?

Do you have cal-tracs or traction bars on the rear? Have you tried playing with your current tire pressures? I've seen well setup trucks cut 1.7x 60' times all day long on stock Dodge Michelin LTX tires. I've seen 100% stock suspension Dodges cut 1.80 to 1.85 60' times all day long with stock Michelin tires at 30-35 psi.

Surely your lighter weight Dmax can manage the same type of 60' times. Call up Rob Coddens at ATP, he lives and breathes Chevy Truck drag racing suspension, tuning, and tires, he'd be a worthwhile phone call. I'll bet he has several stock suspension D-max trucks running consistent 1.6x 60' times.

Yes I have Traction bars, I've cut 1.73 60' times. I'll give him a call and see what he suggests. I'm just trying to squeeze every little bit out of my truck before I have to add more power.

Back