How do you know whem cam sensor goes bad?

NOVICOUPE

I have read several post on here suggesting you buy and keep in your truck an extra cam sensor.How do you know when one goes bad and how do you change it.Also what is a good price for one? I have seen a bunch of them on e-bay just thought I would find out what a good price is for one and buy one just in case.Also what is a good price on glow plugs for the 7.3 powerstroke. I see a lot of this stuff on e-bay and thought I would start getting some stuff that I might need in the future .I rather get them for a good price now when I do not need them.That way if I need them later on ASAP and there are none on e-bay I do not have to pay through the nose. Thanks Chip (NOVICOUPE)

Well...your truck with start by bucking...jumping...just like you are shutting if off and turning it back on. Thats usually a first sign....then when it finally dies and absolutely wont start...your tach will not register cranking rpms.

As far as the glow plugs...pass on them. Glow plugs rarely go bad...it's virtually always the relay that goes bad.

Don't know if it does the same thing as the 99-03's but when my cam sensor went south on my 7.3's the truck died, wouldn't re-start and I didn't have a tach RPM reading while spinning the starter over.

I've had them go bad in as little as 12K.

re

Thanks for the replies.What is a good price for a cam sensor and how hard are they to cgange? THX Chip (NOVICOUPE)

which relay is the one for the glow plugs? i know there is a i think two on top of the engine. im guessing its the more expensive one. i called one day to the ford house and they said one costed more thans the other but wouldnt tell me which one went to what.

NOVICOUPE said:
Thanks for the replies.What is a good price for a cam sensor and how hard are they to cgange? THX Chip (NOVICOUPE)

I got one off of Ebay for $50, it was new in the package. Took me about 5 minutes to change, the old one was really stuck in there.

Back