How much boost is too much???

Strokin96

6.4L needs mods....
....I have 142k on the stock turbo, I have been trying to find the parts I need to put a SD turbo on my truck so that I can control how much boost i run b/c right now with my AWESOME Wildman 4 pos chip it pegs out my 35psi boost gauge and the turbo starts to chuff ....keep in mind that I still have 3 more positions left on my chip!!!! It smokes really bad, I need to get BIG OIL or an SD HPOP b/c the CEL comes on if i say it in too long....driving it on the freeway or highway it's ok until I have to pass someone, it's really hard to pass people when the turbo will not make anymore boost!!!.....to get to the point..... if and when I put the SD turbo on what's a "safe" boost psi???? I have heard the 35 on a "stock" internals is as far as you should go. Is this right?? b/c if I put the bigger turbo on it would need to "flow" a whole lot more CFM to clean up the exhaust.....So anyone know what the CFM is on a stock OBS turbo and an SD turbo??? Should i just bite the bullet and get some crazy Bean turbo??

Thanks for any help,

i believe the stock cfm is somewhere around 750... thats what it said on the beans website anywayz.

much over 30 psi is usually considered bad on a stock turbo and headstuds are recommended at anything over 40 psi. Personally i think your biggest gains would come from a 6oh intercooler. Your boost and egt's would be much lower, power would probably be up some.

Do the intercooler. I was doing the same thing. Was boosting the crap out of it when I did my injectors. I put on a 7.3 all aluminum intercooler and my boost went to about 30psi. But it still pulls really hard.

Back