How much to pay

adamsmarshall

Drilling Crooked Holes
Alright guys and gals, as I'm sure a couple of you have seen I dropped a valve seat in my truck a while back and with my work schedule I'm never home to fix it. So my question is, knowing that I'll need a new piston and head. As far as labor goes what would be a good price to pay for someone to fix it and get it back on the road? I'll buy all the hard parts myself.

I'd say 1500. . but try and find a competent mechanic you can trust! If your able do it yourself! At least you'll know it was done right! There's alot involved took me 3 days to do mine. If you can find the parts used you'll save alot of money! I did mine for under 1500. in parts! If you buy the parts new and have someone do it 4k is a good estimate!

250.00 for a piston, 70 for sleeve,300.00 in block work, 1250.00 for a new head,300.00 for an injector if it was damaged, 100.00 gaskets,70.00 for fluids, 1500 for labor sounds fair.

250.00 for a piston, 70 for sleeve,300.00 in block work, 1250.00 for a new head,300.00 for an injector if it was damaged, 100.00 gaskets,70.00 for fluids, 1500 for labor sounds fair.

Those prices aren't even close.

Had a friend just did his second one. a little advice, go ahead and send it out and have the seat staked and a 3 angle valve job done. my friend just learned, save money and do it 2 times or spend a little more and do it once!

Don't worry I'm getting a head from Hamilton and their taking care of me. The Rest of the parts will come from Jeff and I agree Kyle those prices were WAY high with exception of maybe the labor

Don't worry I'm getting a head from Hamilton and their taking care of me. The Rest of the parts will come from Jeff and I agree Kyle those prices were WAY high with exception of maybe the labor

those prices are from cummins and parts out west cost alot more, it cost me 260 for a piston and rings and 70 dollars for a sleeve from cummins, i paid 1600 for a brand new not remanned cylinder head and 80 bucks for just a head gasket, the going rate for cummins/cat/komatsu/hitachi/deere is around 125.00 hr and to have someone that doesnt know what they are doing it will still be around 70-90 hr. i dont want to tell him its a five dollar fix and then
3k later its fixed, you wont know how much it will cost until its taken apart.it might not even need a sleeve or block work. what kind of prices are you seeing for labor and parts so i can buy mine else where.

Last edited:
I paid $935 for a new Cummins head and $150 in frieght fees

Well all the cummins parts are better through Jeff at Mumau as far as pistons and such and as far as the price on the head that I'm getting I don't know if I shoudl post a price on here or not. It's not a brand new head but has all the seats pinned on an 07 head. And I live local to hamilton so I can just pick it up.

As far as labor I'm waiting to get in touch with the shop as of right now to figure that one out and that was more what I was aiming towards was a good labor cost. But I guess I wasn't specific really in that.

And by no means am I trying to be an ass and I wouldn't doubt for a bit that everything is higher on the west coast. Average labor down here is about 90-95/hr

what year is the truck? if its a 03 to 04 are you going to put a qsb 480 piston in it? They are supposed to have i higher nickel content to withstand i higher temp.

oh yea i forgot to mention i kept the core on the head and paid for a core on top of the exchange price

Early 04 motor. If I only replace one piston then just going with the same one. If I replace all then I'm going with the QSB480's

Somebody mentioned sleeved above, was that to sleeve the cylinder b/c these motors aren't sleeved and you gotta pull the motor and have a machine shop bore the cylinder for the sleeve. That's gonna cost a lot of $$$$$$ just alone.

yeah, hopefully I don't have to have it sleeved. If I do the blocks coming out and I'll just do it all myself over some extended period of time

Back