How reliable are the lmm duramaxes

Kphilpott

P.I.T.A.
I'm looking at getting an 08-09 and I was just wondering how reliable they are. I drive all over the country for work and would like to have a newer comfortable low mileage truck. How are these engines holding up when they get up in the miles such as the injectors, turbo, bottom end, and transmission.

I'll probably put an exhaust, intake, tuner, and a lift pump of some kind with better filtration. I plan on getting a 20'-25' travel trailer to live out of while I'm on the road. If there was already a thread for this I'm sorry for the repost I searched all over and found nothing.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!

Watch out for the EPA if you fallow the above advice... We have heard of trucks that have removed DPFs and such getting impounded in some states like California...

I planned on gutting the dpf an the rest of the exhaust so that it would appear stock if I go somewhere where those things are a big deal. I probably won't ever go as far as California though but the thought had crossed my mind.

I leased a new one back in 08 loved it for the first 300,000 after that I never hesitated to give it back then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not anything major fuel filter issues and snow in the intake but never a wrench on it would buy another if funds allowed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The LMM is like the rest of the duramax's. They are all solid motors. Just don't try to make 600hp all day. Hell my fathers lly has 260,000 miles, egr and factory exhaust intact, 100hp superchips tune since 5,000 miles. Not a single issue whatsoever and its still on the original brakes lol

Just out of curiosity. How hard is it going to be to get the stuff together to delete one of these trucks if I buy one? I would hate to drive a completely stock truck around and I probably wouldn't keep one long if it had to stay that way.

I did an emissions legal article in Diesel World magazine on an LML with K&N intake, Magnaflow DPF back exhaust, and the new version of the H&S tuner a little while ago and it made around 75 hp and 120 lbs/ft over stock and was still smoke free and should pass even in CA. I think with the full Banks emissions legal setup you would get even more power and torque!

I would like to keep it legal if possible. I'm just worried about putting a tuner on and causing even more regens. I would really hate to be in stop and go traffic in a not so nice area, and have to pull over to wait for the truck to go through one. I would like to keep the truck to as little smoke as possible even if it has a full exhaust so I don't draw to much unwanted attention.

An lml is out of the question for my budget. People seem to think they're made out of gold or something lol. I saw the 6.7 dodge in diesel power that was emissions legal and thought that was pretty cool but my state only has visual inspections at this time and that's only if the vehicle came from out of state so I don't have anything to worry about there for now

Back