How to setup caltracs lowered 4wd

smoke machine

I just lowered the new single cab project, pulled 800 lbs off it, and put some 395/40 17 M&H drag radials on it. I'm also installing caltracs and didn't get any instructions with them. Instal is pretty easy just wanting advice on setting preload to give me a good starting point. Thanks in advance

Most I've seen and talked to run "just touching" to 1/2 a turn of preload. It may be different for the 4x4 guys. I run mine just snug on the leaves.

Found it. Thank you sir. Totally oposite what I've been told but makes a lot of sense.

I did some testing last week on my tire scales. Basically find the instant center of the truck and then adjust which bars to the proper hole you want. This depends on if you want front lift or rear anti-squat. Hole location makes a big difference in weight on different tires. Once you establish what you want to achieve and the bars are in that location, then pre-loading each side makes another big difference. I use this pre-load as a test of what the truck will do under load and back things back off the same amount as a starting point.

My basic set-up has bars set to anti-squat with light pre-load and adjustable shocks. But there is a lot of help adjusting with scales if you can use a set. Then testing at the track and video the truck close up on launches.

Last edited:
We have a set of scales but short on time before we load and head to test in Denton. I'm going to try what dock boy wrote and see if its a good starting point Plus I'll be leaving easy since I'll be in the 11.90 class

Still have a lot of learning to do on setting the chassis up. Still spinning all 4 for the 60' but went 6.74 @ 104 mph in the 1/8 and coasted to 11.0 at 114

Turned them to where they touched and backed them off 3 turns. So about 3/8" of gap between the spring and preload bolt

Back