HP Vs. CFM Flow

kino_fab

KTPA Tech Official
Trying to get a general rule of thumb on this. For a possible rules discussion later this winter (no defenates though). Just trying to do my home work as much as possible before hand.

My question is what would be the average HP difference between a stock cummins head (12 and 24V alike), a max porting possible head still with the stock plenum un removed, and a full race setup with either an after market plenum or I.R. Intake.

Basically create the senario of taking the same truck and engine, use the same head and doing dyno pulls at each stage of porting/ intake setup.

It's all married to the turbo setup. One can only crash the party with so much boost before the turbos surge or overspeed, or do something else wonky. But.....you can make almost as much power with a poorly flowing head provided you run a lot of pressure. I'd be interested in a comparison done with a single turbo at 50psi in both cases.

This is true. Ok to add to the senario we will say it is a single charger, basic off the shelf 64mm street turbo.

ive made 540 on drakes dyno with a stocker never been off the truck 180 pump with a super b special at 50psi.. to tell the progress it made 498 with a stock clutch, made 472 with a dual disk at the same 26* timing and 370's. went to 32* made 524, then twisted the barrels made 538 and had pius make a 12cm housing with .700 gates for the turbo. put duals on mand 524, went to ddp 4's made 540. ran it that way until it got wrecked. killer b cam, stock head with .20 gasket, 4k gsk, 191's..

ive made 540 on drakes dyno with a stocker never been off the truck 180 pump with a super b special at 50psi.. to tell the progress it made 498 with a stock clutch, made 472 with a dual disk at the same 26* timing and 370's. went to 32* made 524, then twisted the barrels made 538 and had pius make a 12cm housing with .700 gates for the turbo. put duals on mand 524, went to ddp 4's made 540. ran it that way until it got wrecked. killer b cam, stock head with .20 gasket, 4k gsk, 191's..

ummm, I don't think you understood the OP's question.

I think Adam is giving his experience with a 64mm street turbo and a stock head with no modifications to it.

Unfortunately the OP's question won't be able to get answered unless he has every scenario ready to go and dyno for himself to get the results.

Back