HPOP Questions

powerstroke95

I have a quick question for the Powerstroke experts. How much of a difference is there in the 99-03 HPOP and thhe 94-98 HPOP. Is it really worth the swap? Also, do injectors from the 99-03's fiit the early moodels? How much of a difference is there?

Well as for the hpop I'm wanting to know the exact difference too. I'm thinking of putting one on my 97. As for the injectors. Swamp said they will work. Just might be a programming issue. The new inj. are splits and the old ones were singles. From what I have gathered is the stock 99-03 injectors are 140cc, and baby swamps are 150cc. Is this right?........:thankyou2:

The differene is .4cc displacement. I have read this equates into 200-300psi more pressure.

All the powerstroke injectors can be interchanged but custom tuning will make things get along. Your truck has single shot injectors. The 97cali and 99-03 trucks all have split shot injectors. Splits require more oil to operate.

Last edited:
aren't the single shot injectors better? It seems like a lot of the guys with 99 and newer are putting single shots in their trucks.

Question is has anyone put 99-03 injectors and a 99-03 hpop in their old psd? What difference did it make if any? Also will a 99-03 turbo bolt on a OBS 7.3L. I have a modded one I was thinking of putting on my 97. Just didn't know if anyone has done this?

Big A said:
Question is has anyone put 99-03 injectors and a 99-03 hpop in their old psd? What difference did it make if any? Also will a 99-03 turbo bolt on a OBS 7.3L. I have a modded one I was thinking of putting on my 97. Just didn't know if anyone has done this?

Well for power gains you would want to stay with single shot injectors, More power can come from them and are tons more durable. But yes the injectors would work, '97 model california trucks came with AB code injectors which were split shots. The HPOP is a direct bolt on, just have to swap fittings, im putting mine on next week off of an '02 Before I go to big oil here in the next month or so. The Super Duty pumps are much better than the old ones if u find a good pump, the optimal injection PSI is 3000 , anything under 2500 and performance is gonna suffer, mine is barely holding 2000 right now with my injectors. The old pumps especially when they get some miles on them just give up. The new ones usually maintain somewhere around 2800-3000psi which is fine. As far as turbos go no. They can be made to fit but there a PITA. The pedestal, y-pipes, collector, plenums and lack of an intercooler are the only holdups. Gotta love ford.

Last edited:
Here is an write up by TomS that put a TN BB on his OBS

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2218

Tom says it runs awesome and even better with the live tuning he had done when Jody make a trip to Colorado at the end of summer.

I just converted a 97cali over to an early99 turbo setup with a D66 from Beans and AD injectors. HPOP is the stock one that was on the 1997. Truck has 100K on it. I need to take a run in it with AE data logging to see what the HPOP is doing. It runs like a raped ape and tows awesome.

Last edited:
Big A said:

hpop will fit just fine. you'll need a new gasket. as for the turbo. exhaust manifolds, up pipes, collector, pedistal, and spyder. with the new spyder you'll need new intakes, there different size also. put a late turbo on mine when i rebuild the motor. the easiest thing to do is buy a cheap late 7.3 and swamp everything out. i got one for 350.00 w/ 2 turbos.

the 99-03 injectors are 120cc and the obs inectors 100cc inj it will make a good amount of differince but for the price u might pay it would make more sense to get stage 1s and have the power on tapp. The hpop oil pump size is different on the size of the gerar an obs pump is a 15degree pump and the 99-03 are 17degree pump whick get more oil to the heads quicker.

And make sure that if you have a '95 truck and you put on a newer SD hpop, that you do the bleed down mod. Or the hpop will bleed down over time. Terminator Engineering is turning *15 pumps into *17's without any bleed down issues with the pumps. Good luck!!

Back