Hypermax rail

Didn't someone who wasn't even racing make a stink about the car's weight previously or am I remembering it crooked? What came of that pimple on the ass situation?

There are ways around it. Bob Motz has run his jet truck in both the NHRA and IHRA as an exhibition vehicle, and has gone as quick as 6.34 at 234mph at 7,000 pounds.

There are ways around it. Bob Motz has run his jet truck in both the NHRA and IHRA as an exhibition vehicle, and has gone as quick as 6.34 at 234mph at 7,000 pounds.

Exhibition ain't a record. I think it's odd that the Hypermax rail is coming back out to "lay the smack down" on J-Rod's record conveniently after J-Rod isn't running NHRDA this year.

Exhibition ain't a record. I think it's odd that the Hypermax rail is coming back out to "lay the smack down" on J-Rod's record conveniently after J-Rod isn't running NHRDA this year.

Most of it is all Internet smack talk by nobody part of a team. You know that :lolly:

I can say though, when Hypermax held the record for a while, Dan was determined to beat them no matter what it took. Guys at that level don't like to lose!

They did make 3 passes in a row I believe, so that's good. All at 7.0-7.1 at 199mph. Good to see it back out, but I do think it's too heavy to run 6.30's-6.40's like the Scheid rail. It did go 6.79 before they broke it though, so who knows. I think this was more of a "shakedown" than a "record attempt."

I used the good ol CompD calculator, based upon current specs, the Scheid rail is about 2000rwhp (which sounds right) and Hypermax is at 2300rwhp based upon their 211mph trap speed. To trap 226, they'd need about 2800rwhp, which shows how quick horsepower comes up on ya when you weigh 3600 pounds. I'm sure they could get the DT to 3500hp at the flywheel, just seems like it would be on the ragged edge.

On a side note, Marty Thacker is super fun to watch as a driver. Dude has some skills!

I used the good ol CompD calculator, based upon current specs, the Scheid rail is about 2000rwhp (which sounds right) and Hypermax is at 2300rwhp based upon their 211mph trap speed. To trap 226, they'd need about 2800rwhp, which shows how quick horsepower comes up on ya when you weigh 3600 pounds. I'm sure they could get the DT to 3500hp at the flywheel, just seems like it would be on the ragged edge.

On a side note, Marty Thacker is super fun to watch as a driver. Dude has some skills!

How are they getting around the weight? Are they bringing the chassis back exactly as before?

A DT466 hitting 3k shouldn't be too hard. Isnt that the HP where Prostock Tractors need to be?

Pretty sure this is only an Internet problem.....

Not sure what you're saying. I'm just going off a rumor I heard that they had to drop weight. Are you saying they aren't going to? I'm not really part of the grapevine.

Not sure what you're saying. I'm just going off a rumor I heard that they had to drop weight. Are you saying they aren't going to? I'm not really part of the grapevine.

I'm just saying when you build something like that, and use an experienced 5-second Top Alcohol pilot who knows the risks, one technicality basically takes a back seat to the fact the digger is Top Fuel specs everywhere else.

There were a handful of cars years ago who were running IRS in the 7s or 8s when the rules still technically said 11.99 or slower. Didn't keep them from competing.

Just to see another diesel-powered anything out on the track nowadays is heartening. So why sweat the details?

Back