I cant win!! New sound, i dont like!

BigDctd

Fuel her till she Blow!!
Ok the project truck is crusing down the road now! well ive drove it about 3 miles and now im getting a horrible knock. it almost sounds like a rod bearing? this thing ran smooth as hell for the first mile, them started running a little rough(no knock) and then all of a sudden this knock?

never really heard injector knock besides 3rd gens, could it be a bad injector?

pulled the valve cover everything looks ok, i dont think its timing,

if it is a rod bearing can i save it and just replace em?

Fuuck im lost guys what you all think? or what do i need to do?
oh and this motor was my DD untill i shoved it in this chevy and never had this

i just had a p-pump 24v in the shop that sounded like it was ready to throw a rod. it was the injectors

I was thinking the same thing... does it smoke? Excessive egt? Anything else out of normal?
Shiny metallic in the oil is a sure sign of bad things.

pull injectors and get em tested...or pull oil pan and check rods...
or pull head and check pistons... either way its gonna take some time..
it does sound like an injector though cause it missed then knocked..
good luck man! hope all goes well

Ill pull the injectors, there a loaner set from a buddy, so it wouldn't surprise me. that makes since though just couldn't imagine an injector knocking like that. ill also drain the oil and filter it through a sheet or something to look for shavings or what not. thanks guys ill keep ya posted on what i find.

one quick question if i filter the oil out through a sheet and don't get anything would you guys rule out a rod?

you'd be surprised the noise a hung open injector will cause. Scared the hell out of me the first time it happened, sounded like i blew the damn thing up. I would just swap injectors, i would say that's your best bet.

you'd be surprised the noise a hung open injector will cause. Scared the hell out of me the first time it happened, sounded like i blew the damn thing up. I would just swap injectors, i would say that's your best bet.

Same for me, try injectors first !

ill swap em out tonight and let ya know. thanks for the help guys!!!!

not injectors! this blows! i noticed some antifreeze dripping out of the crack on the bottom of the bell housing wtf? would a bad head gasket cause this horrible knocking noise? i also drained the oil and looks to be antifreeze in it (real bubbly) but no sign of metal shaving in it. guess im in for a tear down. what should i look for?

inconsistencies in the head gasket. or...its not a 53 block is it?

pull head or oil pan. next option..

pull the head. like someone said there can be small inconsistencies in the deck or head.

on a side note not every 53 block cracks and not every other type of block stays together. some can some cant. im not saying its cracked just dont rule out anything yet. you have taken one variable out but there are a dozen more. i know that my buddies truck was running like piss for a day and when we pulled the valve cover a bride had actually slipped off, sounds like you checked everything once over but just making sure. if timing isnt advanced enough it may sound like a knock. or if the gear spun on the pump shaft and rearranged your timing. food for thought.

maybe before you tear to far into it, do a compression check? I had a loose piston that sounded like a rockin nod bearing.

It was scuffed or scored, not tight, worn out, shot, not good, fit pretty "loose" in the cylinder bore, a good .020 smaller than a std piston. I didnt think i really needed to explain.

It was scuffed or scored, not tight, worn out, shot, not good, fit pretty "loose" in the cylinder bore, a good .020 smaller than a std piston. I didnt think i really needed to explain.

Easy bud, just ribbing you a little.

you'll have to forgive Levi. He makes underwear, not build engines.

LOL Tyler, don't be mad because I refused to make your requested pink thong.

And thanks to that I lost the bikini contest. And hear I thought you were a nice guy LOL

Back