I think my cam may be wiped out...

saltyfly88

Well guys heres a quick rundown of my truck. Recently I bought a 2000 f350 crewcab, 7.3, auto w/150k on the truck. The motor made a knocking sound which I thought was a rocker arm. Not that big of a deal to fix. I bought the truck for $2,500 which I thought was a good deal. So fast forward to today, I took the valve cover of the drivers side, and I found nothing wrong... SO off came the passenger side, after 2-3 minutes of looking, and bumping the motor over, so I could see everything opening and closing. I saw that the last pushrod, closest to the cab, was barely moving. I unbolted the rocker arm an hoped that it would be a broken or bent pushrod. But the pushrod is fine. Sooo I put the pushrod back in and held my finger on the pushrod while turning the motor over. And there is no pressure pushing up on the pushrod. My guess is that its a wiped or broken cam lobe because theses motors have solid lifters, Correct? Im in need of opinions as to what to do. Im thinking of buying a shortblock or used motor. If I buy a shortblock i was going to get a 94-97 7.3 because they have forged rods. But I need to know if the heads from a newer truck will bolt up? I need some input from you guys.... thanks Jim

Heads are the same. I just changed the whole front cover, and theres a 7/8ths freeze plug to put in where the obs lift pump is in the valley of the motor.

7.3 psd has hydraulic roller lifters. It may just be a problem with that lifter. If it is the original motor it has forged rods. I would start by pulling the pass side head take a closer look at that lifter.

Thats the next thing ill do. I HOPE its just the lifter. The pushrod does have a little pressure ( pushing up ) If it is the cam Ill probably replace the shortblock. Has anyone heard of a lifter failire on theses motors? This is my first powerstroke, well its my dads truck lol. Im more familiar with cummins motors. thanks for the help guys. Im looking forward to hearing more... Jim

What about just pulling the cam, and removing the push rods, lifters. Then just by removing the headlight panel, rad, intercooler and fan, just pull the cam out from the front after removing the timing cover.

Easier just to yank the motor and do it on the stand. The time you would spend tryin to fight inside there with everything in the truck you would gain, and save the frustration by just yankin the motor. Or you can pull the cab in about 2 hours.

Ya you could pull the cab in about 2 hours is you had the right tools and a lift.

I got the tools. its the lift that i dont have lol... So i can pull the motor out the top? if so ill start next week...

you can pull it out the front, just remove everything from the grill to your fan. And the best part is that you dont even have to remove your hood.

I got the tools. its the lift that i dont have lol... So i can pull the motor out the top? if so ill start next week...

If you know your way around the ford engine bay, You can have the stroke out in a few hours.. They are really pretty easy to do

saltyfly88, Where you located?

Im located in Glen Burnie MD, About 10 miles south of baltimore. Im not that familiar with the fords. Im a dodge man, welll all things DIESEL .lol But this truck was too good to pass up. So soon enough I'll know about the ford... I'll post some pics of my current project and this F350 as soon as I can. thanks guys. Jim Oh one more thing, Does the turbo need to be removed? It looks like there might be enough room to pull the motor without removing the turbo. thanks again

Turbos gotta be removed if pulling the motor. Start soaking the exhaust clamps with PB Blaster if you plan on pulling it. Getting that unhooked will prolly take you as long as it will, to pull the motor. Its simple, if you have some decent mechanical skills. Its easy. Scariest part for me was that 1000 lbs thing swinging from the engine hoist.

Ok guys im about to start on this project. Nut today I talked to a neighbors friend who is a diesel mechanic, and he told me that the 97 motor and 2000 motor are completely different. like nothing is going to work. SO ive been thinking about everything that different. Heads and block are the same, front cover is different, HPOP, injectors. am I missing anything? I just want to know if Its possible. thnaks Jim

When doing a swap like that, just switch over the items that need to be SD instead of OBS.

Why are you not just pulling the motor, taking the head off, and replacing the lifter?

On edit; you most likely will get much more info and feedback here Powerstroke Nation - Powered by vBulletin Good luck.

Last edited:
When doing a swap like that, just switch over the items that need to be SD instead of OBS.

Why are you not just pulling the motor, taking the head off, and replacing the lifter?

On edit; you most likely will get much more info and feedback here Powerstroke Nation - Powered by vBulletin Good luck.

Its my dads truck, He bought the motor, it only has 80k on it, great cond. So thats why Im doing it this way. thanks for the help

Back