Injector Connector corrosion, WTF?

4x4dually

We swapped a set of injectors in a '99 truck (jhurst's) this weekend and found that the connector tube for #4 or #5 (I don't remember now) was nasty as could be between the injector line nut and the connector tube oring. It was nice and clean inside the oring but the outside part was nasty as heck? There was no sign of fuel leaking outside the head and the end of the injector line was also corroded to heck. We took some pictures but the photographer sucks...sorry. The tube was all pitted out like the fuel around it had detonated or something. Has anyone seen this and know what causes it? I'm guessing the nut just didn't seal up very good with the head, but the injector line was sealed good to the tube. Doesn't make much sense. Anyone?

Attachments

• Injector 1.JPG
    Injector 1.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Injector 2.JPG
    Injector 2.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Injector 3.JPG
    Injector 3.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Injector 4.JPG
    Injector 4.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 15
for some reason its common for them to corrode. we did a set in a 98.5 24v this weekend and the end of the lines were very corroded where they meet the cross over tubes

yup...thats my purdy lookin injector tube. it was the #4.

just normal corrosion then?

getblown5.9 said:
for some reason its common for them to corrode. we did a set in a 98.5 24v this weekend and the end of the lines were very corroded where they meet the cross over tubes

I haven't heard of this before, but I think I can guess the answer, differential metal corrosion :bang When I turned wrenches on airplanes it was a big worry with us since we were attaching a lot of stainless and mild steel parts to aluminum.

idk if your supposed to or not but I used one of those sponge/kinda abrasive dish deals on them to clean them up a bit... used the more abrasive with the thing soaked in diesel. Is that a no no?? JW
TNutcher

So long as you do not scratch up the sealing area (the flare part) you should be good. With the kind of pressures run by the injection system any weakness in the seal area will be found by the fuel.

Back