Installed rear freeze plug plate today.

trik396

Not the easiest thing to do with the trans not pulled. Laying on the valvecover and reaching back behind the block, working blind is a PITA. The passeger side was the easiest for me. I was able to get my arm down there and feel the hole no problem. The problem is the driver side. I could not get my arm/hand anywhere near the back of the block. So I had to do it from under the truck laying on my side and reaching up and stretching as much as I could... I finally did it. So at least that freeze plug won't pop. Next I'm going to make one for the plug on the passenger side rear just above the turbo and any others I think I can block off.

I used a 1/4" plate steel and loading the area of the plug with a good amount of JB Weld. The back of the block will blow off before the plate/plug does...:hehe:

I believe I still have an email sent from a member on TDR with pics and description of measurments and stuff.

trik396 said:
Not the easiest thing to do with the trans not pulled. Laying on the valvecover and reaching back behind the block, working blind is a PITA. The passeger side was the easiest for me. I was able to get my arm down there and feel the hole no problem. The problem is the driver side. I could not get my arm/hand anywhere near the back of the block. So I had to do it from under the truck laying on my side and reaching up and stretching as much as I could... I finally did it. So at least that freeze plug won't pop. Next I'm going to make one for the plug on the passenger side rear just above the turbo and any others I think I can block off.

I used a 1/4" plate steel and loading the area of the plug with a good amount of JB Weld. The back of the block will blow off before the plate/plug does...:hehe:

Filling that plug shouldn't be necessary since your plate covers the plug edge. I've seen a frost plug rust out before, but I've never seen the center of one blow out...:)

I just used the JBweld so the plug wouldn't move from its stock location. Probably wasn't necessary but I only wanted to do this once. I've never heard of one having a hole blown thru it but I've heard of too many blowing out completely along with all the coolant.

Back