is a triple disk really needed?

I spoke with Phil on this a couple weeks ago, I've made up my mind where I'm buying TC/VB. Now just have to get the funds together without my wife catching wind... She just doesn't understand...
What about apply levers, I understand about 5.0 exerts more force on the band than 4.2 and so on. Diesn't effect the timing of 2nd gear? For a daily driver with higher line pressure do you need a 5.0 lever ? And is it beneficial do go with a a bigger OD direct spring?
Part of the reason I doing my own build is so I can understand better how these transmissions work

If I go with a tripple and lower the line pressure will it still put stress on the input shaft like some of the other builders setups do?
I'm getting my converter and VB from you guys without a doubt. I just got my frictions steels and new bands. I'll be getting anchor ,strut, next week misc. servo items next week . Then the converter and VB.

There is no way Id put that converter in it without an input shaft. I know its 700 dollars but you will have a much harder time explaining to your wife when it brakes the stock input shaft and takes the converter, pump and the input out. Trust me it can happen Ive been down that road about 7 years ago it was no fun.

The other issue with a clutch holding is the thickness of the apply piston that also has a flexing issue at high pressure. Phil has two different pistons he can use to build a converter. The cheaper billit single disc's that can be bought from companys like transtar have the stock lock up piston that in my opinion flexes more than the cover! I can buy those converters for around 400 dollars, but I don't anymore since cutting a few open I think without both cover and lock up piston being billit you are wasting your time!
Bottom line is a triple disc will allow the line pressure to be set lower for mild shifting. I personally like the cd to skip a song or two when shifting!:rockwoot:

i like to watch my passengers head bobble back in forth when she shifts LOL

Back