Is All DEF Created Equal?

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
Can't believe I am asking this but I need to add DEF to my truck soon. Is all DEF the same or is one brand better than the other?

Can't believe I am asking this but I need to add DEF to my truck soon. Is all DEF the same or is one brand better than the other?

I test DEF in customer’s equipment and storage tanks pretty often. The brand doesn’t matter as the ammonia content has been standardized. It’s all about the storage; it needs to be kept cool and dark. UV rays destroy DEF fairly quick.

Thanks, I'll try and find some place with a high turnover that hasn't been sitting around.

I test DEF in customer’s equipment and storage tanks pretty often. The brand doesn’t matter as the ammonia content has been standardized. It’s all about the storage; it needs to be kept cool and dark. UV rays destroy DEF fairly quick.

This. I have been selling DEF since 2008 when our tractors went to it...not a big deal, as long as it's kept out of the sun. I have even had customers use DEF that is 3 years old, but was stored in a dark corner of a heated building, and it gave them zero problems.

It's all about the concentration, and you have to remember that 67.5% of it is water, and can evaporate.
Chris

Back