Is this normal?

keithb

I have a 2005 F250 4x4 that I put a 2000 24 valve Cummins in.All stock and running a 5r110 transmission. I have had it going for about 6 months. I pulled my trailer to Ga and bought a 1989 F350. It seems to pull ok but when I pull a hill and it kicks down to a lower gear it does not seem to open up. The boast will go to 10 to 12 PSI and feels like it will go to 21 to 2200 RPM's and hang there.I have checked for boast leaks. It starts good and no miss fire. I put a new lift pump on it when I did the swap and it runs 10psi idling and drops to 6 to 7 WOT.Fuel mileage is not what I was expecting 16mpg. Any thoughts on what it may be? Thanks

Does the boost rise then drop? You certainly have a boost leak from the way you describe the lack of power/boost and could you explain how you checked for boost leaks? Pressure test with soapy water is really the only way to check.

You also need a better lift pump, anything below 10psi is just asking for trouble with the vp's. I am 14-15psi idle, cruise is 12-13psi and WOT is 11psi and I am removing the stock banjos for better flow to get the pressure up/more consistent.

I plugged off the the drivers side of the air charge cooler and started it up. Sprayed soapy water on the connections. What should the boost be? Is there a better way of checking it? What lift pump are you running?

I always used a PVC cap that was tapped with a pressure gauge and shradder valve. Then hooked it to the turbo intake pressure it to 10-15psi.

Well that sounds like it will work. I will have to plug off on the intake side to and just check the piping,CAC and hoses.

I always left everything hooked up. just take your intake tube off and pressure. youll have a little leaking past with open valves but your shop air should overcome it.

If it will only run to 2000-2100 rpm and not over that you are lacking speed signal for the Cummins ECM. Look for the white wire with orange stripe in the Cummins engine harness and connect it to your grey with black stripe wire at the Ford PCM (if it was a diesel truck, pin 35 on the connector closest to the cab). That usually wakes 01-02 engines right up.

Last edited:
you also might want to think about more fuel pressure at wot as the vp44 doesn't like low pressure

Back