Is this worth buying?

I don't think 1500 for a vehicle that barely runs is just. Hell I will sell you my dads 97 BMW 528i with nothing wrong for 4k :D

Lol

I would say like 800 or less maybe but over 1k for a non runner na. Hard smoker could be anything fueling and for a Mercedes diesel parts you probably have to go direct. That would suck. After fixing it probably won't get over 35 mpg either.

Just my .02

Hmmm.....if it was a simple fix it would be worth it to me. But that's a pretty difficult thing to know

Exactly. Could be major could be minor. My thoughts would be find an expert on them and pick their brain for a few days

Unless you can get parts CHEAP. Pass on it. It may just need and injection pump refresh and injectors cleaned/ popped. But that is higher mileage on trans and diff etc.

Assuming it needs completely rebuilt

The 3.5L "rod-bender" engine cannot be rebuilt. "It will start, but it smokes badly and will barely keep going." means it has a bent rod which has ovaled the cylinder(s) and destroyed the block. Oversize pistons are not made and Mercedes made the engine sleeveless because of the thin cylinder walls.

Unless you have a good engine to replace it with, pass for sure.

aren't the 300d getting hard to find?
1: Thats not a 300D.
2: No. They are very common.

Last edited:
One thing about the "rod-benders" is that if they made it past 200K or so, then they shouldn't have the problem. This one says it has 360K. I would bet it could be a somewhat simple fix (IP, injectors, etc). Either way, it's not worth the $1500 price tag.

You could easily get $500 parting that thing out. That's what I would offer. The W140's parts are at a premium over the other models of this vintage.

What about an 82 300D? It runs and drives but needs vacuum system work and new gaskets, 255k on the clock, and its 500 bucks

^ good knowledge up there. I think the 82 is a good deal though, I almost bought that one a few times.

If you're really looking there are bunches down here and I'll be driving up next month.

My woman took it to IF to get groceries, on the way back about halfway up Ashton hill the top radiator hose blew off... So what's the logical thing to do? Hammer down all the way to the turnout a mile past the top of course. When I pulled the head each cylinder had three cracks I could fit my thumbnail in. Only heads to be found were $1500 bare and had to come straight from Germany. So most of the Bimmer is probably ductile iron pipe by now.

I did keep the turbo and some other assorted goodies though.

What about an 82 300D? It runs and drives but needs vacuum system work and new gaskets, 255k on the clock, and its 500 bucks

This engine (OM617) is almost bullet proof. I have the same engine in my '85 300SD. If it is just the vacuum system that needs sorted, you just need some vacuum tube, connectors, tees, orifaces, etc and a good diagram to sort it out. The vacuum pump rarely fails, usually it is just a check valve or diaphram issue and is a cheap repair.

The vacuum system runs everything on these cars; FSS, tranny, heat/AC controls, door locks, trunk lock, gas tank door lock, EGR system (can easily be deleted).

Bottom line, if you can read a diagram and have a weekend to kill you can get it fixed pretty easily.

Back