It was going good until

Doppler

I was headed home yesterday, getting 18.4 mpg, taking it easy. Stopped at a stop light, took off and engine started to shutter under a load or when going up hill. Suspected that I was losing an injector, still all stock injectors, so took it really easy the rest of the way home. Got home pulled out the infrared thermometer and checked the exhaust manifold ports for temps. Cylinder 1,3,5,7,4,6,8 all read over 200 degrees at idle with number 2 reading 99 degrees. So looks like I'll be pulling it apart this evening to check wiring and possibly replacing the injector.

I would spend the money and do all. Normal findings for me is you'll be chasing injectors one after another once one goes. Also try and find a good scanner and go through contribution/cut out test.

Last edited:
I would spend the money and do all. Normal findings for me is you'll be chasing injectors one after another once one goes. Also try and find a good scanner and go through contribution/cut out test.

I started another thread asking about Auto Enginuity interface and software, trying to get an idea if it's worth the money.

Got home this afternoon and hooked up my SCT X3 to see if I had any DTC's, did not have CEL on, and found P0275 INJ Cylinder #5 contribution/balance Power cylinder, valve train or injector was the only code showing. Symptoms are rough idle at normal operating temp, shudder when under a load like accelerating or going up a hill, all cylinders read over 200 degrees at normal operating temperature idle except #2 which is reading 99 degrees. Injector cycle test sounds normal, no noticeable pauses or skips, prior to start up so I think all the solenoids are testing good. I've returned the program back to stock tune and still have the rough idle so I believe I can eliminate the tune as a factor. I'm leaning towards a stuck spool valve on #2 injector. And I'm curious how I could be getting a code for #5 injector when cylinder temp read the same as the others, except #2 which shows no codes associated with it. I haven't been able to get it a shop yet to get the injectors tested and contribution test run yet, maybe able to get that done tomorrow. Any other thoughts or does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Last edited:
Ford numbers cylinders 1234 . 5678. Down each bank instead of odds evens..

Unless I am way off, someone correct me

That's the standard Chevy dodge firing order

Is what Ford did in the small blocks etc.. didn't know if they did the 6.0 the same

6.0 cylinder location is
front of engine
2 1
4 3
6 5
8 7

Just tested my FICM, 48VDC KOEO, 47.9 while cranking, and 43.5 at idle so looks like the FICM is on its way out. Beats having to tear into the engine for now.

I have a stock 7 pin power supply with130k miles on it if you need one.. Read good all around..swapped it with bulletproof unit for fun apparently then did injectors..

Let me rephrase my last question. 7 pin for what? Which after going back and looking you are referring to the FICM. Sorry, I got 7.3 stuck on the brain when you were asking about cylinder orientation. Therefore my "7 pin for what". As far as your other statement. I don't see it being relevant and I'm glad to know you've never made a mistake.

Passenger side is 1, 3, 5, 7
Driver side is 2, 4, 6, 8
Check for harness chafing
Unplug cylinder that isnt firing and plug it back in to see if it picks up.
if you pull valve cover, look for small nut to be loose or gone on spool valve, or top of injector loosened up from base. The small screws like to loosen up.

Diagnosed it down to injector #5, solenoids were good, spool valve moved freely so everything seemed fine on the HPO side and electrical side. Leads me to believe the plunger on the fuel side may have seized. I replace the injector with a Ford reman and reassembled everything. All my pressures look good, power balance is back to normal and the truck is running perfect again!

Back