Larger compressor pumps

mike diesel

I had a 60 gallon, 20 year old, Campbell Hausfeld compressor that I picked up off the local classifieds 2 years ago for $200. It was slightly underpowered with 10.0CFM @ 90psi. I resold it this past Wednesday for $300. I went to Lowes and picked up a Kobalt 60 gallon compressor rated at 11.5CFM @ 90psi, thinking it would be a decent improvement. Paid $450 for it ($180 out of pocket after tax).

I am not all that impressed with it and feel like the old Campbell Hausfeld actually filled the tank faster. I did the proper break in on this Kobalt before using it. It took 7 minutes and 46 seconds to fill the tank from empty to 155psi.

So now I am interested in larger pumps for this tank and of course Google searching led me right to Harbor Freight. Specifically this one....

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-HP-14...ump-60754.html

For the most part it has positive reviews and some guys are claiming 1.5 minutes to fill a 60 gallon tank from 0-140psi.

I can have this pump for roughly $135. Does anyone have any experience with this pump? I've got a buddy who offered to buy the brand new Kobalt pump off of me for $100, making this swap about $50 out of pocket. But I also don't want to end up with a brand new piece of junk.

Heres the Kobalt.

20160310_141847_zpsm2obrow8.jpg

I found this one on TSC website but no stores caried it. I t could have been ordered it was $1000 but i found it used and picked it up for $600.
the SS4LS was 14.1 CFM with 60 gallon tank
this ones is SS5LS with 18.1 CFM with 60 gallon tank

the 80 gallon one that my neighbor just bought was 15.1 CFM for $1000

20160301_0011201_zpserem3jno.jpg

I had a 60 gallon, 20 year old, Campbell Hausfeld compressor that I picked up off the local classifieds 2 years ago for $200. It was slightly underpowered with 10.0CFM @ 90psi. I resold it this past Wednesday for $300. I went to Lowes and picked up a Kobalt 60 gallon compressor rated at 11.5CFM @ 90psi, thinking it would be a decent improvement. Paid $450 for it ($180 out of pocket after tax).

I am not all that impressed with it and feel like the old Campbell Hausfeld actually filled the tank faster. I did the proper break in on this Kobalt before using it. It took 7 minutes and 46 seconds to fill the tank from empty to 155psi.

So now I am interested in larger pumps for this tank and of course Google searching led me right to Harbor Freight. Specifically this one....

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-HP-14...ump-60754.html

For the most part it has positive reviews and some guys are claiming 1.5 minutes to fill a 60 gallon tank from 0-140psi.

I can have this pump for roughly $135. Does anyone have any experience with this pump? I've got a buddy who offered to buy the brand new Kobalt pump off of me for $100, making this swap about $50 out of pocket. But I also don't want to end up with a brand new piece of junk.

Heres the Kobalt.

20160310_141847_zpsm2obrow8.jpg

I would try it. I event considered it if I couldn't find a compressor that I wanted.

I found this one on TSC website but no stores caried it. I t could have been ordered it was $1000 but i found it used and picked it up for $600.
the SS4LS was 14.1 CFM with 60 gallon tank
this ones is SS5LS with 18.1 CFM with 60 gallon tank

the 80 gallon one that my neighbor just bought was 15.1 CFM for $1000

20160301_0011201_zpserem3jno.jpg

I tired all day to find a nicer used setup online but there was nothing half decent in the $500-$600 price range.

Atleast the pulley on this motor will drive the HF pump just under its peak output. It my math is correct, it should drive it at 1044rpm. This Kobalt appears to be screaming from the factory at 1277 rpm. Seems abnormally fast and unreliable.

I tired all day to find a nicer used setup online but there was nothing half decent in the $500-$600 price range.

Atleast the pulley on this motor will drive the HF pump just under its peak output. It my math is correct, it should drive it at 1044rpm. This Kobalt appears to be screaming from the factory at 1277 rpm. Seems abnormally fast and unreliable.

I understand I look all over internet and compared all the Ingersoll Rand ones
and the one I wanted wasn't in any store ordered only. My wife said don't settle if its not what you want. We came home and searched craigslist and that day and found one in Nashville for $700 offed $600 and went a got it. It needed servicing but that is only $20. Also noticed the motor had been replaced from a 21.1 Amp to a 15 but it will build from 0-135 in like 3 min. I am supper impressed cause I have had a craftsman compressor forever and when i got home the piston seal was shot.I am probably gonna plumb the 35 gallon tank into the system too.

I have a 80 gallon kobalt that I use maybe an average of once a week and in less then a year it was getting really hot on one of the three cylinders so I pulled that head and it had broken reeds then the pressure switch was leaking so that also had to be replaced. Not a huge fan of the quality

The link didn't work but Im assuming its the twin cylinder single stage at 17 cfm. I have personally seen this compressor pump fill a 80 gallon tank, it does pretty good. Being a single stage I wouldn't go over 120 psi. It does have reed valves, but they aren't as problematic in our arid climate.

I have a 80 gallon kobalt that I use maybe an average of once a week and in less then a year it was getting really hot on one of the three cylinders so I pulled that head and it had broken reeds then the pressure switch was leaking so that also had to be replaced. Not a huge fan of the quality

I have also seen this compressor run. Being a single stage, kobalt should be embarrassed to factory set the pressure so high.

I am a fender mender for a living, kind of lead to an air compressor fetish.

Would you guys recommend I turn the pressure down? I had the Campbell Hausfeld set to 140 psi and it seemed to do significantly better than the Kobalt at 155 psi. This Kobalt probably only flows around 8CFM at 155 psi.

I would if it was mine. Watch the gauge for how long it takes to hit the pressure you need, decide if its worth messing with.

Last edited:
Seems it takes roughly the same amount of time to go from 120-155 as it does from 0-120. Plus I have another 22 gallon compressor that I can link together. I'd rather have 82 gallons at 120 psi than 60 gallons at 155 psi. Probably take the same time to fill either way but with a good bit more volume.

Back