leaking exhaust

dangerous06

diesel tech
I have a stainless AFE manifold and SB 64 I can't seem to keep anything tight!
I tighten the bolts weekly but they just come loose again! Now the turbo flange is puking black smoke! This was hard to tighten the back nuts not much room for a wrench let alone turning it! I think locktite would burn out at 1200 degrees! I'm thinking of using the Stock bolts and spacers and be done with it! Any ideas or solutions out there?
How bad will a leak effect power and MPG? Could this be the cause of the constant black smoke? Hazy on the freeway!

if the exhaust is leaking out before the turbo your not going to have as much pressure driving your turbo but i highly doubt that an exhaust leak would cause it to smoke constantly.

I snapped the throttle a few times and the smoke is coming out either the mounting flange or there's a crack in the turbo or manifold. "Backside of coarse" Going to pull it apart this weekend!

I know for a fact that ATS had a bad run of castings a few months back, several of their 2 and 3 piece manifolds were shipped this way. You couldn't get an ATS manifold from anyone 3 months ago for this reason.
If your lucky it's just the flange gasket, that was my problem all along.

IMAG0146.jpg

put a dab of silicone on the bolts with new lock washers. had the same issue with my stainless diesel and S366 turbo. tried new bolts, lock washers, and a little silicone on the end of the bolt and never had another issue. the ash from the silicone is enough to work like loctite but you can still take it apart without tearing anything up.

put a dab of silicone on the bolts with new lock washers. had the same issue with my stainless diesel and S366 turbo. tried new bolts, lock washers, and a little silicone on the end of the bolt and never had another issue. the ash from the silicone is enough to work like loctite but you can still take it apart without tearing anything up.

Cool I'll give it a shot! I'll use the copper seal on the threads! See if that works. I'm going to drill the flanges out and just use stainless nuts and bolts instead of the studs they are such a pain in the ass!

Ok Got it apart here is what I found:
dangerous1965

Would this cause the constant smoke I would think yes due to not enough air for the injected fuel!?

that would cause a loss in drive pressure which would in turn reduce your air flow

I'm going to drill the flanges out and just use stainless nuts and bolts instead of the studs they are such a pain in the ass!

Don't use stainless. Stainless galls very easily, which is fine if you want it to tighten up and then never come off, but there are better ways to go about it. Put the long bolts and spacers back in on the manifold. Thats what they are there for, for expansion without stretching and then releasing the bolts. Get the lock tabs if that doesn't work.

Use some good never seize, once you get a couple heat cycles on it, go back and retorque the nuts and bolts, before they loosen off to the point of leaking.

Don't use stainless. Stainless galls very easily, which is fine if you want it to tighten up and then never come off, but there are better ways to go about it. Put the long bolts and spacers back in on the manifold. Thats what they are there for, for expansion without stretching and then releasing the bolts. Get the lock tabs if that doesn't work.

Use some good never seize, once you get a couple heat cycles on it, go back and retorque the nuts and bolts, before they loosen off to the point of leaking.

I wish it would gall and never loosen up! I did put the stock bolts and spacers back on time will tell! Going to retorque in a hundred miles! I did 60 ftlb's I did notice much faster spool up but I EGT's went to 1400 pulling 25k?! It was 108 outside though!!

I wish it would gall and never loosen up!

Thats all well and good, until they stretch from the thermal expansion of the manifold. Then you have bolts that won't come out, and have zero tension on them.

Thats all well and good, until they stretch from the thermal expansion of the manifold. Then you have bolts that won't come out, and have zero tension on them.

yeah that would suck! Well the factory bolts never loosen up they just look crappy. BUT I will take crappy looking sealed exhaust ports to cool looking leaky ones! I'm still pissed that my S.S. manifold rusted AFE wouldn't even return my call! Looked good after i polished it but now looks like a stock pile!
SANY0121.jpg

I never had an issue like that with the stainless hardware I had on mine. The only issue I had was the lock washers holding.

Back