Leaking Fuel Sump Gasket

Diehard Ram

Sled puller no more
I have a Sinister Fuel sump that is a month old, and the gasket is junk.

When i installed the sump, i removed the tank from the truck. I had to fix my float. When i put the sump in, the gasket was very soft. It squeezed out from around the sump. I did'nt overtighten the bolts, and i used locktight. At first is was good, no leaks. And now a few weeks later it's leaking bad. I tighten the bolts just a bit, and it still leaks.

I don't want to get another junk gasket from Sinister. Is there any other gasket material that i can use that will seal up and not leak. or another sump that has the same bolt pattern with o-rings.

Yes get a 6"X6" viton sheet material 1/8 or 5/32 thick. Cut your pattern and only pierce the rubber with a sharp point for the bolts. Clean area real good and install dry. Worked very well for me. McMaster Carr or Grainger will have it and sell smaller size's.

Chris

I just wanted to post an update on my leaking sump.

I purchased a 6x6 piece of Ultra-strength Viton Fluoroelastomer Rubber 1/8 thick.
From Mcmaster-carr Part# 8625k14.
It wasnt cheap but it did stop the leak. This stuff is way better than the junk gasket they send with the sump. I'll post some pics later.

uba2a8u3.jpg
ume2y2aq.jpg
5e5u2emy.jpg

I also used the yellow Teflon tape (The one for gas line) to reseal all of the pipe thread connections. No leaks, priceless!

I also had the same problem with my sinister fuel sump. The first gasket seemed way to soft when I installed it. After about a month it started dripping fuel, so I call up the company and they sent me a new gasket that seemed to be a little harder and when installed it didn't mushroom out from the sump. Its been about a month since I installed the new gasket and no signs of it leaking yet, knock on wood!

I had the same problem with mine plus all the studs broke. I use the Permatex great stuff. Tacks in a minute, and is diesel rated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back