Left the parking brake on..

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
Well I left my parking brake on yesterday when I went to pull my boat out of the water. I know, I'm a moron. I didnt notice it till I smelt the phuckers at a red light. Now my question is: what do need to replace besides my pads? Cylinder, drums, springs....? I havent pulled it apart yet because I dont have the parts yet.

I still cant belive I did this sober. :badidea:

Oh and my rear brakes are really 'grabby' now...

You might just need to replace the shoes. If it were me I'd get a set of shoes for it and hardware (don't forget adjuster hardware too!) Put it together like that and if you feel any kind of shake you can always throw a set of drums on it later. Of course, if the shoes wore down past the rivets you will have to do drums anyways. :Cheer:

I doubt it will work but I believe the rear brakes are supposed to be auto adjusting. If I remember right it is supposed to adjust when you brake in reverse?

I wouldn't do anything just yet. See how it works out. Most drums don't wear very much on these trucks unless you have the chevy cylinders anyway.

Leave it be for a while, if it starts causing issues work on it, otherwise leave it be, I can't count how many times I've done the same, until you see smoke, it's not that bad LOL I would look at giving them a good bleeding though, you have cooked some fluid.

Lucky you I have a full set of drum brakes off a 98 for sale :D

Really though, the rear brakes don't do much, so like Billy said, wait and see. they might have gotten hot, but I'm sure they didn't get super hot enough to damage everything.

Last edited:
You might just need to replace the shoes. If it were me I'd get a set of shoes for it and hardware (don't forget adjuster hardware too!) Put it together like that and if you feel any kind of shake you can always throw a set of drums on it later. Of course, if the shoes wore down past the rivets you will have to do drums anyways. :Cheer:

What do you mean by hardware? I know there are some springs in there, but I've never opened the drums up myself.

EDIT: Here is 'hardware kit' ? NAPA AUTO PARTS)

This is the adjust your refering to correct?

NAPA AUTO PARTS)

Leave it be for a while, if it starts causing issues work on it, otherwise leave it be, I can't count how many times I've done the same, until you see smoke, it's not that bad LOL I would look at giving them a good bleeding though, you have cooked some fluid.

Umm there was some smoke. :doh:

Also, I noticed that the drivers side rear drum was much hotter this morning than the passenger side and Im getting a very slight smell to it.

I tried the auto adjust thing last night by going about 10-15 mph in reverse and stopping then going forward at the same speed. I did that about 6 or 7 times.

I still can't belive I left that thing on.:doh:

Last edited:
Seriously bud, if the drums are the same ill send you my shoes and adjusters or whatever you need for whatever cost of shipping is

sent from my phone

One being hotter than the other is no biggie, just means they need to be manually adjusted to even out. The hardware kit is all the springs and the adjuster assembly.

One being hotter than the other is no biggie, just means they need to be manually adjusted to even out. The hardware kit is all the springs and the adjuster assembly.

I got the hardware kit, but it didnt come with the adjuster assembly. The Adj. Assy was seperate. I was thinking I could get away with just all new springs, retainers and pads.

I got the hardware kit, but it didnt come with the adjuster assembly. The Adj. Assy was seperate. I was thinking I could get away with just all new springs, retainers and pads.

Odds are you can just take the adjusters apart, then clean the threads up with a wire wheel. Before you put it all back together, put a thin coat of moly grease on the adjuster threads so they don't seize up in the future.

02 are rear disc ya dummys

theyll be fine..auto adj wont loosen em..ive had whell cyl lock up and rove em till they were smokin like on fire...roll on..theyll be fine a week or so ..probly less..unless the pads are gone

02 are rear disc ya dummys

theyll be fine..auto adj wont loosen em..ive had whell cyl lock up and rove em till they were smokin like on fire...roll on..theyll be fine a week or so ..probly less..unless the pads are gone

I havent changed the pads in over 7 years so I guess we will just see what they look like when I get the drums off.

I do know that the left rear grabs as soon as I touch the pedal. I may have time to atleast check that side out Thursday after work. Ill keep yall in the loop.

I can say I didnt know there were that many Ph'kin springs in there till bought that hardware kit.... :poke:

Make sure you do them one side at a time, because you'll likely forget where all the springs go if you haven't messed with drum brakes for that long.

Make sure you do them one side at a time, because you'll likely forget where all the springs go if you haven't messed with drum brakes for that long.

You put the rear on jackstands and pull both drums and then do one at a time too?LOL

As long as you are taking it apart and bleeding them, put the chevy wheel cylinders in it too. For about $40 it will stop a lot better.

Depending on how hot it got, you may have damaged a wheel seal.

Back