Light duty NV4500 Input Shaft

lorendiesel5.9

OG Hunnybadger
I found a NV4500 out of a 2500 gas dodge. My question is this did they all come with the 1 1/8" input? If they did can I swap the input for a 1 3/8" HD input? I need a spare transmission while I get my other one rebuilt.

i think the diesel models came with a 1 1/4 but you should be able to swap them the only thing is the gear ratios may be different in the gas model not shure on that

Most gassers had a 1 1/8" input, diesels and V-10s had a 1 1/4" shaft. There is an early and a later version that has different 1st & 2nd gear ratios, not a big difference. Most if not all dodges used the later version.

I'm pretty sure they can accept a 1 3/8" shaft.

Im pretty sure that the gas 1 1/8 shaft uses a smaller reatainer than the diesels do, meaning that the 4 bolts that hold the retainer on has a different bolt circle from one to the other.

Well I finally got my transmission out and I pulled the input shaft. Went over to look at the gas NV4500, pulled the input out of that one and popped my 1 3/8" shaft in. It seems to fit like it should BUT I didn't check the output shaft size. :bang My trans has a 29 spline output and the one I just bought has a 23 spline. So I am going to tear them both apart and see if the 29 spline will fit in the same space as the 23 spline. If not I may just swap the bad parts in mine for the good parts in the new one.

The light duty dodge NV4500's and GM units are identical and both can have the large imput shaft swamped. Only variance with the GM to the Dodge styles is that the GM used a hydrolic throw out bearing instead of a clutch fork. Also, the gearing on the dodge units has always been the same but the first 2 or 3 years GM used the NV4500's 1st gear was quite a bit lower (matching that of the old SM456 bull low) or close to it anyway.

Ryan

Back