Limited street use and a coolant bypass valve

Just for info the 6.7 upper radiator hose ASSY has a hole already in it where the temp sensor goes that would be perfect for the return!

The sensor you are referring to is not the temp sensor. That's the exhaust back pressure sensor.

Here's what I made:
20160108_104440.jpg

20160108_104711.jpg

Modified 4th gen T-stat housing for pressure relief. Used a 8an to pipe thread " had to drill and tap both holes!"
Using this for the back freeze plug replacement:

20151105_090729.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody know if the 6.7 has the same issue with the rear freeze plug since it's a different coolant flow configuration?

To add on, I think Mr. Block said that he cracked a.block before installing a coolant bypass. After the bypass was installed, he did not, to date have another problem. Nothing proven that not having a bypass contributed to it cracking but it is cheap insurance...especially the way I am doing it.

Last edited:
How much are they really needed? They seem very pricey for what you get

I am just running a hose from the back of the head to the coolant neck.. thats why I say cheap insurance

Mine is a limited street application though

Would a simple home made setup like you have be okay on a daily driven truck? If not, is it because it simply won't allow enough heat to build?

Would a simple home made setup like you have be okay on a daily driven truck? If not, is it because it simply won't allow enough heat to build?

For a street setup, you can install a manual ball valve or a watts(sp?) valve, like what is shown earlier in this thread.

You are correct, I think the hose (no valve or restriction) would keep you from building enough heat in the winter and possibly cause an over heating condition in the summer under the right conditions.

Have you heard of anyone blowing out a freeze plug while running an electric pump?

I think Ryan Milliken blew either a freeze plug or hose on Buckwheat years ago when he wrecked it. He was running an electric pump on it.

Back