Limiting Straps?

dordtrecht5

Mr. Having Fun
I am wondering who out there wouldn't mind sharing if they are running limiting straps on their 4x4s at the strip. As you can see I am a GM guy considering this for next year along with centerlink support from AllSeason. My main goal next year is the mess with suspension set up.

If anyone wouldn't mind any ideas I would appreciate it. I have searched and read many of the threads in regards to set up, and noticed SubMan mentioned that Max'd Out runs a limiting strap. In comparison, how have any of you guys' 60' times along with ET compared to not having limiting straps.

Looking for ideas, along with proof. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hope this is in the right place, didn't know if I should go here or onto the Chassis/Suspension thread.

No, a limiting strap keeps the front axel from separating too much.

Correct ... for the application that I am concerned about, drag racing, it limits the amount weight transfer from the front to the rear by keeping the front planted.

In addition to the OP I wanted to add another question: Where are racers placing these on the suspension? I have read that some have welded a tab on the shock mounts, but would like some input. I would assume that a good location would be on the lower control arm somewhere up to the frame. Is this a safe assumption?

I can't offer too much help with this, but I will offer what I know.

I'm still new into the diesel thing, but I was quite heavy into rock crawling jeeps for several years. What we would do is determine how much we wanted the axle to droop, then set a length of chain that would run from a bolt or convient anchor in/around the frame the to or around the axle. I know its redneck, but it works very well. Set this as close as possible to the shock or spring.

Good luck!

I am a big believer in letting the suspension work. What I mean by that is, I like my truck to squat as much as possible in the back. If the front tires skate a little I am ok with that. I do run a bit of a limiter strap, but that is just to keep the springs in the perchs. As my truck is lowered considerably the springs could fall out of the perch if not careful.

Correct ... for the application that I am concerned about, drag racing, it limits the amount weight transfer from the front to the rear by keeping the front planted.

In addition to the OP I wanted to add another question: Where are racers placing these on the suspension? I have read that some have welded a tab on the shock mounts, but would like some input. I would assume that a good location would be on the lower control arm somewhere up to the frame. Is this a safe assumption?

if there is room on one side or the other of the shock mount that is a fine spot to bolt the strap and then like you said just run it up to a tab on the frame.

I can't offer too much help with this, but I will offer what I know.

I'm still new into the diesel thing, but I was quite heavy into rock crawling jeeps for several years. What we would do is determine how much we wanted the axle to droop, then set a length of chain that would run from a bolt or convient anchor in/around the frame the to or around the axle. I know its redneck, but it works very well. Set this as close as possible to the shock or spring.

Good luck!

for what limit straps cost($25) its worth it to buy some and do it right. im still into rock crawling and off-road racing and thats the way we do it on our rigs.

Garrett

On the dmaxes we modify the a arm to hold a 1/2 inch nut and bolt. We use the bolt as a set screw so it can be adjusted

ok ... this is good info to know.

I have future plans on lowering the truck somewhat with a true kit. I am not really into pulling springs and all that stuff, but would consider it perhaps, so I appreciate all this to consider. The plans for the truck over the winter, as I still use it as DD is somewhat daunting, but still has to stay within budget and that means the lowering may wait, there are more important things to get done first.

Anymore stock bodied GM guys out there that would throw in .02 worth, any suggestions or questions are certainly welcome.

I wouldn't imagine that you would want them much longer then the distance from from the axel at ride height...And to short might make for some interesting bangs and booms under a hard launch.. I will be adding some to my truck for next year maybe 5 or 6" longer then static stance.. see if I can plant them for a change... check out polyperformance.com they have kits that are like 30 for one strap..

Made a difference.

Before:

launch.jpg

After:

Link - Pueblo, CO 2010

:ford:

I tried limiting straps and they streched first pass, so I went to chain. This worked, but as Mork said, I redesigned the rear suspension and now let it do the work.

Remember, as long as 4 tires are on the track, you have 4 tires doing the work. Don't fight it, embrace it. Here is a pic of a 1.50 60' launch with street tires and leaf spring suspension on a 9 second pass.

Last edited:
Back