LLY leaking anti freeze

aircop

Buddy has a LLY leaking anti-freeze from passenger side of block. He said it is not the head gasket. Says it is lower on the block but he could not see exactly where it was coming from. I haven't looked at but was wondering if the Duramax has a block heater on the right side. Wondering if you guys could help with any ideas.

Towards the front of the motor or rear ? Lhe lower radiator hose comes loose sometimes. The block heater is right around the motor mount on the pass side.

Buddy found leak it is on passenger side rear of block. Says it looks like a flat plate between the block and the trans. What could it be.

1" Adapter plate that goes between the bell housing and the block, not cheap or easy to change. The pic below shows the plate in front of the flyweel, its not the best pic but it will give you an idea..

brokenengineadapter1-1.jpg

I don't see what your talking about.
I see it now, do you have to pull the trans to replace it. Can you pull the exhaust manifold and get to it while in the truck.

Last edited:
I don't see what your talking about.
I see it now, do you have to pull the trans to replace it.

If its leaking from that plate it would be from the top portion. You would either have to drop the transmission, un-bolt the motor mounts, and jack up the motor far enough to get the oil pan off, or pull the motor.. I have only read about one cracking and leaking antifreeze there though. I am trying to remember what enters at the top that holds antifreeze but I am not sure if its part of the egr cooler or something else. regardless theres 2 bolts were the connection is at the top that I would check and make sure there tight first...

If you look behind the flywheel you can see one of many bolts that hold that plate to the block, so obviously the flywheel needs to be removed aswell...

Just double checked, there is a port at the top that brings antifreeze from the drivers side to the P-side on that intermediate plate. Also to correct my above post if you decide to change it out by dropping the transmission, you do not have to remove the motor mount bolts or jack the engine up, the crossmember beneath the engine is removable and allows enough room to drop the lower oil pan... Good luck...

Back