Locking converter in first?

I lock in 1st. I have a lockup arming switch that I throw before I stage, and then a hobbs switch that completes the circuit at 18mph. It's an adjustable hobbs switch, but 18mph seems to be the sweet spot on my truck. Very consistent and I have yet to break a shaft doing 1st gear lockups.

Paul

I lock in 1st. I have a lockup arming switch that I throw before I stage, and then a hobbs switch that completes the circuit at 18mph. It's an adjustable hobbs switch, but 18mph seems to be the sweet spot on my truck. Very consistent and I have yet to break a shaft doing 1st gear lockups.

Paul

How do you control a hobs switch with mph?
Using line pressure ?

Your right, the way it gets loaded down and the half track shift makes sense.

It would probably whoop me if he just left in 4th

Last edited:
Nope, I can tickle my lock up switch and the converter locks.

It's strange to me how different trans to trans can be. My stock trans took a second. My RedLine trans takes a second. Then I know of a few guys with TFOD3 kits and one of theirs takes a second while the other two are instant. And they all drilled the same sized holes in the VB for lockup.

I wish mine were instant. I've made sure I've got a good 12V+ and 12V - but that didn't change much. I've also played around with different fluids. No change really.

It's strange to me how different trans to trans can be. My stock trans took a second. My RedLine trans takes a second. Then I know of a few guys with TFOD3 kits and one of theirs takes a second while the other two are instant. And they all drilled the same sized holes in the VB for lockup.

I wish mine were instant. I've made sure I've got a good 12V+ and 12V - but that didn't change much. I've also played around with different fluids. No change really.

My valve body is from hts/bhp here in Michigan. I love it. Best shifting vb/shift kit I've had yet.

I think some of the difference is in the converter. Also from my experience a 48 will lock right away and most 47's have some delay.

Mines an ats 5 disk I've had it restalled 3 times by Phil at dpc he didn't find anything wrong. Now I'm back to stock stall ~2200. It came with an ultra low stall from a vp truck wouldn't go over 1250 to the floor trying to build boost. It was terrible and smokey.

152mph is crazy.

Mines been apart a couple times. The vb has about a 1/4" hole for lockup. Locks up HARD and it's almost 1000rpm drop under load.

How do you control a hobs switch with mph?
Using line pressure ?

Using governor pressure. The trick is to find a hobbs switch that you can set to ~18psi, and will still handle max governor pressure.

Locking the converter in first the rpm drop is usually a lot less then locking it up in 4th. The driven side of the converter has a greater mechanical advantage in the lower gears, then in the higher ones. In other words it's easier to turn. :) Less rpm difference between the driving half, and the driven.

If you time the lockup correctly you can run a looser converter to aid in spooling, and then lock it up before you blow through it after the launch.

Paul

Back