Look at this injector pump repair bill please...

Dave88LX

To keep a long story short - I sold my '97 2500 to a friend with the disclosed understanding that it would need some injector pump work done. In the past, I guess the governor arm screw backed out and fell into the governor side. Potential damage would have been bent stud(s) among other possible things.

Called up a local diesel repair shop and explained to them exactly what was going on. The man who rebuilds their injection pumps agreed based on the symptoms that what I described was probably what the issue was, and that it may need a couple extra parts depending what he finds when he opens it up.

Estimated quote was going to be 4-5 hours remove/reinstall/time the pump, plus a couple of hours of "pump repair" time, plus any parts.

My friend and I were both completely blown away when he went to pick up the truck and was slapped with a bill for $1500. We all know that a fully rebuilt pump can be had from a reputable shop for right around $1,000ish, and I believe that book time on the pump removal/reinstall is around 4 hours.

Based on that, I have no friggen clue right now where the hell they came up with 6 + 6 hours of labor. I see the barrels & plungers mentioned, which are on the other side of the pump. I'm wondering if they did a complete pump rebuild; but it doesn't seem like it.

I'm pissed off because I feel like a dick for recommending this shop based on the good things I've read and heard about them. We were told a price of 1/3 to 1/2 of what he was charged, and if we'd known it was going to be that much, we'd have purchased a complete (newly) rebuilt pump instead of just band-aiding this one.

Anyone familiar with these pumps care to comment? Does everything look right, or did he get hosed? If so, does he have any recourse whatsoever? Just doesn't look or feel right to me.

What the hell does "tallowed" mean? I don't find it in a search on this site.

alex_dodge_bill.jpg

Pump parts seem close to standard Bosch prices, he didn't screw you on that, other then you might not have needed an overflow valve and he replaced it to add labor + part markup. Not sure why he needed a DGK 131 kit, that is the gasket kit for the pump side, he shouldn't have needed that.

6 hours to go through pump is not all to out of line, I would say to go through it and run on a calibration stand should be around 4 hours (just had this done and he took 4 hours). He might have run into other issues that took more time. If there is a reason why he got that DGK 131 kit that would also add time. He didn't replace any plungers and barrels.

6 hours to pull/install pump, change fuel filter and overflow seems a bit high. 4 hours would be more appropriate. But again, if he had to diagnose something like low fuel pressure (why he replaced overflow valve) that would take some time also.

Main thing is find out why he needed that DGK 131 kit and what issues he had before jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:
My local pump shop is usually 1000-1200 for the pump, plus labor and extra parts. I don't get where you are coming up with it being double what I should be. The only thing I see high is the vehicle labor. And if you didn't ok extra work other than the pump rebuild, then they should knock $100-200 off maybe.

Back