Looking at buying an '02 Dmax Pro's and Con's

cummins freak

I love my mini semi
I'm going to be looking at a 2002 Chevy Dmax tomorrow. My wife was out looking at 4dr trucks and came across this one and said she liked it. What are the problems to be on the look out for. it must have pulled some it has a gooseneck turn over ball in the bed...but all in all its in good shape. Dont know the Miles and such yet but i'll find that out tomorrow.

how are they for a DD'er

Your going to deal with injector issues if they haven't been replaced yet...

thats what Ive been reading! I have also read there is a 200K warrenty on the sticks so we will see

They are a great daily driver in my opinion, I drive mine every day. I would for sure check out the injectors though.

I've been through 4 sets of injectors on our LB7 in 200K miles. 2 sets were ruined due to unknowledgable dealer. Just check for blue smoke on start up.

Other than that the truck has ran perfect no issues what so ever and it is a brute. If the price is right I would go for it. The fuel mileage will be 21-24 on the highway in a 3/4 ton.

I've been through 4 sets of injectors on our LB7 in 200K miles. 2 sets were ruined due to unknowledgable dealer. Just check for blue smoke on start up.

Other than that the truck has ran perfect no issues what so ever and it is a brute. If the price is right I would go for it. The fuel mileage will be 21-24 on the highway in a 3/4 ton.

question for u then, i have a dmax in my o3 dump truck...i do notice blue smoke when its rediculously cold outside at start up. then and only then. normal? its a stick too...factory dual mass...shakes like a mother f'er

I've had a standing offer in to buy a friend's kid's 2002 Chevy CC since about 2004.

The offer is still standing, and I'm still waiting...

you may be within miles but the year limitation on a 2002's warranty is up.

question for u then, i have a dmax in my o3 dump truck...i do notice blue smoke when its rediculously cold outside at start up. then and only then. normal? its a stick too...factory dual mass...shakes like a mother f'er

I would say if the truck is shaking on you hard you are having some balance rate issues. I would find someone with EFI LIVE or a tech II and check the rates. Blue smoke is generally the first sign of issues.

Blue smoke in the cold is comon for us. Our powerchokes did it the cummins and the both d-maxes do it. But we are talkin about very cold KS winters make this happen. The injectors are tryin to passs some very thick fuel when it's gelled

No matter weither or not the truck has injector problems you'll be ten times happier in a Duramax that that cummins anyday

Going from Cummins to a Duramax myself the Dura is a much nicer daily driver. Great ride smooth rode manners and decent power stock. Injectors seem to be the biggest problem with the LB7's. For the normal daily use though the Dura wins for its smooth suspension, quiteness and good fuel economy. The way I drive and my mix of city/highway/country road driving I average 17.5mpg with a heavy foot in my LLY. Same driving in my 01 Cummins I was getting 14.7MPG with a slipping auto and 15.3MPG with the five speed.

in my 03 dmax im getting 14.8 mpg, my dmax blue smokes when it warms up but temps here has been around 35* to 40*

nope gm run the vin last monday and they have been changed under warranty, the only thing it had under warranty was the transfer case was replaced and tailgate cables. im gonna hook up to a buddies efi tommrow in check balance rates it dosnt run rough or anything just smokes a little.

I have 172K on my duramax and the chevy dealership told me my injectors were not recalled but i had to get them replaced and after fighting with them for a little bit they "found" a way to cover the cost. I duno if i just got lucky or what, the other problem I had was an O-ring rotted on my tranny and leaked the fluid, other than that its an awesome daily driver

Back