looking at used OBS what mileage is too high

NOVICOUPE

I am looking to get a 1995-1997 either f-250 crew short bed or f-350 long bed 4x4.I want a diesel but have never had one so I am very new to them.What as far as mileage is too high to be able to get a good dependable truck that will not need a bunch of expensive parts and work right away.Is a little over 200,000 miles too much for my first diesel.I do not want to have to pt a butt load of cash into it for a while.

yes...200,000 is too many miles for your first diesel...(note*) depending on previous owner maintenance...if they had records of everything ever done including oil changes i'd go for it. Injectors for these puppies are NOT cheap. and since they are fired with oil pressure...oil quality really matters to them. Its like $260/hole. So take that X8 and you're going to spend over 2,000 on injectors alone.

You can get a '94-'97 4X4 for under 8k in Texas. Add 2k "if" you need to replace ALL 8 squirters and you still have a hell of a deal! I have a friend that does virtually zero maintanence on a '94 and he has over 400K on it. He changes oil regularly, but other than that, "fix it if breaks" ! If a moron like this can get 400K out of a Stroke, then no, 200K is nothing! My son just bought a '97 last weekend w/ 221K on it and we plan on taking on anything that can and will happen. So far, he only has $7500 in it and doesn't owe on it. Even yearly repairs totaled 2k, after 3years and 30k miles, he's still not that bad off!

It really depends on the truck and how it was run. My cousin has a '97 with 280k on it that eats tranny's every 60k like clockwork and has had a set of injectors and an HPOP put in.

He also has a '95 that has over 400k with only one reman tranny put in and original injectors.

The guy that drives the '95 is pushing 70 years old and has been driving it since it was new, the '97 has had a bunch of different equiptment operators driving it.

Back