looking for advice on starting my own shop

dieselmanswife

Hi, Don't know if Iam into the right site or not. My husband is a master mechanic and is laid off from Cummins where he has been employed for 9 yrs. I would love to help him start his own business as a diesel repair shop. I have my own business ( antique shop) and we have a huge pole barn with 3 lg bays in it. The pole barn used to be a towing business before we bought the property but is now being used as my storage barn. He also has all of his own tools. Of course all you guys never have enough tools.(As of this writting he has no idea I am even looking into this) We live in the perfect area to start this up but have no idea where to start(at least I dont) the thought of paying our own insurance and getting this going is scarry to say the least but to continue to work for some else I feel we wont get ahead. Can anyone who is reading this help me?? Direct me?? Give me any advise at all?? Thank you so much. dieselmanswife~~ Denise

We jumped head first into the middle of it 4 yrs ago. We have a diesel shop in South West Mo. Being your own boss has its perks but, it also comes with alot of headaches(most are worth it ). INSURANCE is a must... and costly but, it will cost you much more in the event of something ugly happening. It sounds as though you have location covered. easy access helps. We are right on a busy highway so be visible helps. ALOT of advertising is a must in the beginning also. Get your name and logo all over the place! GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE, knowledge and honesty will go along ways. If you make that the basis of your business...word of mouth will be your best advertisment.

Back