Looking to buy 7.3 Excursion what issues to look out for

Dmax-Dualie

green behind the ears
Ok looking to buy an Excursion and i was lookin at the 7.3's, i know of a few of the 6.0 issues and just heard to stay away so thats why i was looking at the 7.3.

This will be the wifes truck and i just want to know what issues are there to look out for in a 7.3L cause i dont want to be buying a lemmon. Only things i have heard about or know of is the turbos if your gonna run big boost aint so good and dont last long and the front wheel hubs tend to leak after a while.

I was doing some readin on here about them and found out they have the under valve cover harness that i thought was only on the 6.0's. I am basically looking for common issues to look out for for yalls input as i am not too big on ford and dont know too much about them but still like em and or things to stay away from.

Any input is greatly appreciated and if it seems to be too big of a bear to mess with em ill get a Dura-burb but it will be alot later down the road.

Thanks in advance
James

I'm not familiar with the Excursions very much, but I am with the 7.3 a little.

The UVCH isn't much to worry about. If there is a problem, they aren't hard to replace.

Since its for your wife, I'm assuming your not looking for big power :lolly:. The 99-01's have forged connecting rods (good). 01-03's have Powder Metal Rods. The PMR's suck. Only good for around 400hp.

Turbo will be fine unless you decide to upgrade injectors significantly.

With a custom tuned 6 position chip, exhaust, and intake, it will have plenty of power, and be very reliable.

~Good Luck~

See i was thinkin around that, id rather have the forged rods over the PMR's cause those are **** like you said but oh well. Id like to get her something newer than an 01 but i do have a bug that bites me in the ass all the time to get more out of it so i may play it safe lol.

I was already planning on upgrading the turbo with a better/more efficient one with ball bearings and at least getting better nozzles for the injectors to better atomize the spray pattern for better MPG when my foot is out of it as well as going with exhaust/intake/free spinning hubs in the front among othe things. This will also be my long haul trip truck when taking trips home to Texas on leave and what not(also where a gear vendors over/underdrive unit will come into a big playfor MPG).

Any other issues to look for?

See i was thinkin around that, id rather have the forged rods over the PMR's cause those are **** like you said but oh well. Id like to get her something newer than an 01 but i do have a bug that bites me in the ass all the time to get more out of it so i may play it safe lol.

I was already planning on upgrading the turbo with a better/more efficient one with ball bearings and at least getting better nozzles for the injectors to better atomize the spray pattern for better MPG when my foot is out of it as well as going with exhaust/intake/free spinning hubs in the front among othe things. This will also be my long haul trip truck when taking trips home to Texas on leave and what not(also where a gear vendors over/underdrive unit will come into a big playfor MPG).

Any other issues to look for?

I wouldn't be too afraid of one with PMR's, you just have to know your limitations. I've been running around on mine for over a year at about 430 rwhp without any issues. It's my workhorse around the farm, and my toy on the weekends. I do plan on swapping in a set of forged connecting rods eventually, just so I can turn the wick up a little more...

Just FYI, these damn things aren't cheap to mod just like anything else. I'm sure you know that already.

Custom 6 position Chip: $500-$600
GTP38R BB turbo: $1500
Stg 1 injectors: $1200 (too small) :lolly:
238cc Hybrids: $1850
Transmission: $1000-$5000

Exh, gauges, intake, etc...

Oh yeah i know the cost of mods dealing with the dirty-max and the camaro(even though the camaro isnt nearly as expensive its a costly toy).

The way i figured it is if i bought a newer one with the PMR's and something happened id just build it better or slap a cummins in it. either way ill be happy lol it will still some out cheaper than a Dura-burb.

Back