Looking to gain mpg. Who knows what to do?

You have to DRIVE IT EASY!!

That is the best advice anyone can give you for mileage.

I can drive my truck to get 15mpg, or I can drive my truck to get 19-20mpg around town. I have to really be motivated to get 19-20mpg though. If i go around hammering and getting into the throttle a lot, then it goes down quick. Taking off fast from stoplight is what really hurts you.

My dads bone stock 98 12v 5 speed with stock intake and exhaust gets a consistant 19-20mpg city driving. He keeps his foot out of it.

Another thing is to try to anticipate stops so that you can roll on through them and not have to come to a complete stop. Obviously you cant always avoid it, but it helps when you can.

A better torque converter would help you too, but you should be able to do pretty good with the stock one. Just really make yourself take off slow and easy and drive real easy for a tank and see what you get.

Eric

The problem is I do drive it easy. I have my 99 I go and run the piss out of. This truck just being a daily driver gets drove gently as I am trying to get the best mileage as possible. It is mainly stop and go miles than highway miles but still should be doing better. I have not even towed anything with this truck yet either. I just wonder if I may have a problem with lift pump or injection pump which could be causing this.

according to Bluechip, poor mileage IS one of the signs of IP eminent failure, but I have heard that some trucks just suck for mileage.

I wish I could get the mileage alot of you are getting. I have done alot of the mods you all are talking and still don't get that good. Something that isn't mentioned but helped me some is to adjust the valve clearance. I did this a week ago so I have only ran 2 tanks through it but increased by 2 mpg. Worth a try and easy to do. good luck in your search as I am trying to do the same. I think small injectors are my next move.

Technically in a diesel if you drive it too easily you can get worst mileage. Diesels are most efficient at 100 percent load.

These trucks are actually the most fuel efficient when pulling big trailers around. When pulling around an 11,000 pound 37 foot RV I usually get around 13 mpg. 11,000+7,000=18,000, take 18,000 pounds and divide that by the weight of a prius(around 2,500) pounds and you get 7.2 priuses, multiply that by 13 mpg and you get 93.6 mpg per weight of a prius. When doing road trips unloaded I get 21 mpg. 7000/2500(prius) is about the weight of 2.8 priuses, multiply that by 21 mpg and you get 58.8 mpg which is still very efficient when compared to what kind of real world mileage a prius gets but it's no where near as efficient as when it is under a load. If my math is wrong please correct me.

About once every other month I will take it easy for a full tank to check mileage. An easy driven tank will net me 22mpg summertime, 20mpg wintertime. A normal tank that sees some abusive driving, heavy towing or a sled pull will net me 15-20mpg. Bone stock my truck got 17mpg no matter how I drove it. Last July I did all my mods to get up to the 22mpg.

Airdog 150
Bosch RV 275's
HX-35
Goerand tranny/converter
Edge Juice/attitude
315/70/17's=35" tires
4" straight piped exhaust

I'm getting my butt kicked by the newer diesels in terms of power. I would love to get larger injectors/turbo, but just can't pull the trigger on anything because I don't want to lose my mileage.

Driving the speed limit (62 mph max on the freeways) with lots of cruise control gets me near 20 mpg.
The cruise also is miles without wearing the accelerator pedal position sensor/APPS (called a TPS on gassers).

try to drive i real easy an light the skinny pedal an the hardest thing you need to do is not build lots of boost

keep the boost low an see what you get

Back