Loose steering column, how do I fix this?

Video worked for me.

Likely something going hay wire with the tilt inside the column. How to fix? I’d call my 1st gen amigos and source another column. Maybe one without tilt.

Do you pull on the steering wheel to assist with getting yourself into the truck?

I never pulled on the wheel before I added the bucket seats, but since then I've caught myself doing it a few times. The buckets are such that I kinda need to keep the tilt to be able to get in and out of them. I sit pretty close.

How hard of a job is it to change a column and how much does one cost? There are like 50 pages in the manual regarding the steering column so it scares me.

He said you'll need to pull the column on a 1st gen were as on 2nd gen you can sometimes get away with doing it on the truck.

I installed it in my truck and wanted to report back. It was a job prying the spring retainer off but it really tightened up the steering, not in a bad way that binds up, but less slop in the center. My truck's spring wasn't even really loose at all either. Tightened up the feel of the column shift lever too. Now I need to install one on our other 01 which does have some give in the spring.

Back