Losing prime after shut down

pin_it

Hey guys I had a question about my 99 I just put a new vp44 on it about 6 months ago. Here the past few months it has been hard starting not all the time seems to depend how it is parked. One day it'll crack right off every time and some days I'll have to bump my and and let my fass cycle a couple of times before it'll start. Also on the bad days as soon as turn it off and start it back up with in seconds of shut down you'll have to bump the key and start all over again. I'm holding good fuel pressure constantly (16 psi) even when it does hard start. The truck runs great once you get it fired up I'm sure I'm not the only person who has ran into this, so any ideas of where to start looking would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Follow the return line off the vp back to where it tees into the injector return line off the head, it will be a brass tee fitting. Check those nuts, if they are loose they cause your exact problem

I had a fuel pressure sending unit cause this issue. Try taking it out of the system and see if problem is still there.

Banjo return on the back of the head and check all the injector lines.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I had the same problem on my 98, turned out it was feed tube o-rings

I just battled this same problem, turned out a couple of my high pressure injector lines were leaking and would suck air if parked uphill. They wouldn't leak enough to drip they would just weep from where they connect to the head. I bought one new line cause the pressure fitting to the connector tube was flattened and put thread sealant on the rest. Fixed my issue. I also replaced all washers on the return line and the rubber grommets at the T-fitting.

Where could you possibly apply sealant on high pressure lines? Not a single thread is directly responsible for sealing.

I know, the correct fix would probably have been to replace the lines as they had probably been over-torqued which is probably why they were weeping). But I didnt have the cash to fork out $88 a line. I put the sealant on the threads of the connector to the head.

I know, the correct fix would probably have been to replace the lines as they had probably been over-torqued which is probably why they were weeping). But I didnt have the cash to fork out $88 a line. I put the sealant on the threads of the connector to the head.

Did nothing to seal the line. In the future you can lap the connector tube to the hard line. Of course you do this carefully and make certain the compound is completely removed from all surfaces prior to installation.

I realize that the that didn't seal from the line to the connector, but it sealed where the connector goes into the head. I probably have a fine leak from line to connector but I am not losing pressure or finding excessive fuel in my oil. It fixed my starting issue and stopped air from entering the system there. As I said probably not the correct fix but worked for me w/o having to spend a lot of $. Good Luck with figuring yours out.

Back